Last time you did a water change? What about Holiday Tank Maintenance?

WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU CHANGED YOUR WATER OUT?

• TODAY

Votes: 206 23.9%
  • Last Week

Votes: 360 41.8%
  • This Month

Votes: 95 11.0%
  • Last Month

Votes: 75 8.7%
  • 3 Months

Votes: 33 3.8%
  • 6 Months

Votes: 27 3.1%
  • 12 Months+

Votes: 16 1.9%
  • Can't Remember

Votes: 18 2.1%
  • NEVER

Votes: 32 3.7%

• Total voters

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Wally, water changes don't replenish trace elements, at least in any consistent form.

I will explain this again: salt mix makers don't agree on what constitutes trace elements let alone what ratios they need to be in . This is a fact of the salt manufacturing industry. Is iron a trace element? How about silica ? How about Iodine? How about Potassium? They can't even get calcium levels consistent from batch to batch so how are they going to get Strontium right? I've seen what few ICP tests have been done on salt mixes and they are all over the place.

Most of us don't use ESV either. I just use regular baking soda and calcium chloride. I haven't done a water change in a year either and have more SPS growth than I can deal with.

So for starters, we need to make a list of what are minor vs major trace elements and get the entire reef industry to agree to it. Not just what those two guys over at BRS say.

I will make a counter statement in the same train of thought as trace elements: it is not possible to grow coral in acrylic tanks - period. Since I don't have an acrylic tank and the universe only consists of what my understanding is nobody can grow coral in a non glass tank. Doesnt matter than people have acrylic tanks with coral. I will ignore them to validate my statement.
hey @blasterman,

I can understand your reasoning about lack of proper trace element levels in cheap Salt or simple products like ESV.
It does make me scratch my head since my ICP tests have alway come back in spec.

However that was when I was using Tropic Marin Pro salt, something I've discontinued over the last couple of years to cut down on costs (Possibly a mistake).

At looking at my old bucket of TMP this is the guarenteed analysis of contents.

TropicMaurinProSalt.jpg

The question is are the quantities and ratio's proper.

Sure some if not all salt mixed may not be perfect, however daily small water changes must be better than monthly since you are consitantly replenishing elements that may be absorbed quickly, and diminish in concentrations over hours, or a day or two.

However what's your reasoning for Acrylic Tanks being inadequate for corals within. The water and light is within the walls of acrylic, so are you suggesting acrylic leaches, or absorbs something?

Last edited:

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey @blasterman,

I can understand your reasoning about lack of proper trace element levels in cheap Salt or simple products like ESV.
It does make me scratch my head since my ICP tests have alway come back in spec.

However that was when I was using Tropic Maurin Pro salt, something I've discontinued over the last couple of years to cut down on costs (Possibly a mistake).

At looking at my old bucket of TMP this is the guarenteed analysis of contents.

TropicMaurinProSalt.jpg

The question is are the quantities and ratio's proper.

Sure some if not all salt mixed may not be perfect, however daily small water changes must be better than monthly since you are consitantly replenishing elements that may be absorbed quickly, and diminish in concentrations over hours, or a day or two.

However what's your reasoning for Acrylic Tanks being inadequate for corals within. The water and light is within the walls of acrylic, so are you suggesting acrylic leaches, or absorbs something?
I also agree on the Tropic Marin Pro Salt, I know they guarantee these elements in there, but are the ratios right like you said? I have been using TMP for over 2 years and I love it! I am also dosing the TM All -For-Reef and I have seen the tank really take off!

As far as the acrylic comment that he made, I was taking that more as sarcasm than anything...

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree on the Tropic Marin Pro Salt, I know they guarantee these elements in there, but are the ratios right like you said? I have been using TMP for over 2 years and I love it! I am also dosing the TM All -For-Reef and I have seen the tank really take off!

As far as the acrylic comment that he made, I was taking that more as sarcasm than anything...
I think at trace element levels, the ratios are not that important. If other salts have 0% of certain trace elements, then that's why TMP is sythetically made to have all those elements, and thus the premium price. I may buy one bucket to try again, since my SPS finally are doing well, and could use a tiny bit of punch. Typically I don't like to change anything when things are going well, but going to premium salt mix (for one bucket) can't hurt, espcecially since I do daily small water changes, so any shift in water elements will be gradual.

I really do believe in Daily Auto Water changes VS monthly like I used to. Constant replenishment, even with cheap salt. No YO-YO syndrome.

Geez, he got me with the Acrylic snag. I was scratching my head.

Last edited:

sksouthpaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just changed mine right before logging on. Usually once a week 15% water change/maintenance, replace filter floss etc

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at trace element levels, the ratios are not that important. If other salts have 0% of certain trace elements, then that's why TMP is sythetically made to have all those elements, and thus the premium price. I may buy one bucket to try again, since my SPS finally are doing well, and could use a tiny bit of punch. Typically I don't like to change anything when things are going well, but going to premium salt mix (for one bucket) can't hurt, espcecially since I do daily small water changes, so any shift in water elements will be gradual.

I really do believe in Daily Auto Water changes VS monthly like I used to. Constant replenishment, even with cheap salt. No YO-YO syndrome.

Geez, he got me with the Acrylic snag. I was scratching my head.
I just set up a AWC on mine yesterday and I am doing .75 gallon a day on my 75gallon. i'm excited to see what comes out of it.... I am using regular dosers that I had laying around, but I am already looking for some versa pumps or might have to get some other kind of peristaltic pump that has a higher duty cycle or wont poop the bed with the run times. I am running a Hyrdos controller so DOS pumps are out of the question.... I am really hoping the release something soon so I can sleep better...

Everything in the tank is looking good except a WD that I have. it has great polyp extension, but I don't see the color that is littered online..... I might have been hosed when I got it! haha

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmm. They said ratio's are dead on. And I believe them.

tropicMarinSaltRatio.jpg

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. They said ratio's are dead on. And I believe them.

tropicMarinSaltRatio.jpg
agreed, their products are worth the money, and ever since the tank got stable with using the products, its basically a set it and forget it tank. I test water every month and the parameters are very stable. I went 2 weeks testing ALK every day and there was a .1 dKH fluctuation in it. so my alk stays at 9.3dKH, and when I get alerts that the TM products are back in stock, I buy some so I have stock of them.

I have never questioned their quality and what is printed on the products.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a AWC on mine yesterday and I am doing .75 gallon a day on my 75gallon. i'm excited to see what comes out of it.... I am using regular dosers that I had laying around, but I am already looking for some versa pumps or might have to get some other kind of peristaltic pump that has a higher duty cycle or wont poop the bed with the run times. I am running a Hyrdos controller so DOS pumps are out of the question.... I am really hoping the release something soon so I can sleep better...

Everything in the tank is looking good except a WD that I have. it has great polyp extension, but I don't see the color that is littered online..... I might have been hosed when I got it! haha
Hmmm. Regurlar Peristatic Pump will burn out or the tubing will go if you run them for long periods of time.
It works, till you find a better solution.

I got these Kamoer Peristatic Irrigation Pumps. Been running for a few years.
They are fast pumping, and just simple DC motors you can run on a AC adapter and any Digital Timer or Wifi Plug.
The are Heavy Duty Cycle, design for watering plants and stuff.

They go on sale every once in a while for $35 US each. I think I got mine for $28.
2019-03-23_TankMateWaterChanger.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32891887138.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dlGjVSR

I used to run 4 pumps to cascade my water changes from Tank to Tank. First tank was the cleanest SPS tank that got the new water, and last tank was my dirtest Mixed Reef that got used water. It worked, to be eco friendly on salt water.

TankMateMega.jpg

This demo shows how that setup ran when I water testing the DIY controller.

I stop doing the Daisy Chain water changes, and now I run Two tanks only. Each one get new Salt Water.

TwoTankWaterChanger.jpg

Best pumps I ever bought. I have a extra/spare pump I run manually when for my Fish QT Tank.

One thing that's important with Water Changers if pump don't run simultaneously and in perfect sync, is you must turn off your Auto Top up, or else during Drain cycle it will top up with Fresh Water.

Last edited:
Back