0   0   0
Last edited:

pfcreed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanna try something natural try blue legged hermit crabs. In the past I've seen stuff like that get mowed down by them.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanna try something natural try blue legged hermit crabs. In the past I've seen stuff like that get mowed down by them.

That's part of the reason i'm so annoyed, I've got a variety of hermits, they're eating it, but they aren't mowing it down. In the past i've had the experience you're referring to, but with GHA.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boodlea composita

Potential Control Species:
Fish: Acanthurus achilles, Acanthurus japonicus, Acanthurus leucosternon, Acanthurus lineatus, Acanthurus olivaceus, Acanthurus pyroferusCtenochaetus hawaiiensis, Ctenochaetus striatus, Naso brevirostris, Naso lituratus, , Zebrasoma desjardinii, Zebrasoma flavescens, Zebrasoma scopas, Zebrasoma veliferum, Zebrasoma xanthurum, Siganus corallinus, Siganus guttatus, Siganus magnifica, Siganus vulpinus, Centropyge acanthops, Centropyge argi, Centropyge aurantius, Centropyge bispinosus, Centropyge eibli, Centropyge fisheri, Centropyge flavissima, Centropyge heraldi, Centropyge loricula, Centropyge resplendens, Centropyge shepardi and Centropyge vroliki.

Urchins: Diadema setosum and Mespilia globulus.

Most of these are surgeon fish or rabbitfish, neither of which I can add to my system right now. I might be able to add an Angel, but has anyone heard of Angels really going after nuisance algae like this? I know they're omnivores, but...

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of these are surgeon fish or rabbitfish, neither of which I can add to my system right now. I might be able to add an Angel, but has anyone heard of Angels really going after nuisance algae like this? I know they're omnivores, but...

Neither of my angels touch algae at all...they pick around at rocks though, so maybe they are. However, it's not going to be anything like a tang.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Per the dosing instructions from Vibrant's website, I'm dosing 8ml twice a week (80G system). I'm on dose #4. There has been no affect on the algae, but according to the dosing instructions this is to be expected.

"If you are battling Bryopsis or Turf algae, dose 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water two times per week."

Turf Algae - 8-20 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)
Bryopsis - 6-30 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just finishing up on bryopsis. I stopped too quick and had a rebound. I began a twice a week routine on August 25, 2018. I missed three doses about a month ago.

70g tank received 7ml on Monday and Friday.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just finishing up on bryopsis. I stopped too quick and had a rebound. I began a twice a week routine on August 25, 2018. I missed three doses about a month ago.

70g tank received 7ml on Monday and Friday.

Thanks for the tip, i'll make sure to keep dosing for several weeks/month after the stuff goes away... assuming it goes away at all. :eek:

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

I'm officially on dose number 9, still at 8ml per dose. This "stuff" seems to have definitely slowed in growth, clearly not spreading or getting worse, but it's not gone away either. Will continue to dose and provide updates. Also, I've lowered my ALK some as my nutrients seem to have declined from dosing the Vibrant product.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Currently on dose 14. For the most part the algae issues are gone, only the most stubborn areas remain. I'm going to keep dosing, likely for another month until I'm confident that this stuff is gone. I can also confirm my Chaeto has been wiped out; my guess is lack of nutrients and not a direct threat.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upate:

Dose 17, only a small amount of this stuff remains. Will continue to dose until shortly after it's all completely gone. While my chaeto has been gone for weeks, there has not been any ill affect on any of my tank inhabitants.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Update:

Total Dose Count of 8ml: 23
Total Dose Count of 4ml: 2

Turf Algae - 8-20 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)
Bryopsis - 6-30 doses ( again, depending on species and how bad the infestation is)

Results:

The stuff is completely gone, no sign of it at all. My advice with vibrant is to monitor your nutrients very closely, in addition to it's relation to your ALK. I doubt the routine recommended daily maintenance dose will not affect your nutrients that much, but if you're trying to wipe out a pest algae it definitely will. This stuff did wipe out my chaeto and from my eyes stunted the growth of my mangroves. I allowed my ALK to drop slowly over time and kept it stable once it was at a desired level. I also cut back on filter sock changes and beefed up my feeding to keep my system from going too low on nutrients. When you no longer have to clean your glass, it's obvious your nutrients are on the low side.

Overall, I'd call it a success... i'll update this thread if it comes back. I would recommend this stuff to fellow reefers for pest algaes or routine maintenance.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Update:

Total Dose Count of 8ml: 23
Total Dose Count of 4ml: 2

Results:

The stuff is completely gone, no sign of it at all. My advice with vibrant is to monitor your nutrients very closely, in addition to it's relation to your ALK. I doubt the routine recommended daily maintenance dose will not affect your nutrients that much, but if you're trying to wipe out a pest algae it definitely will. This stuff did wipe out my chaeto and from my eyes stunted the growth of my mangroves. I allowed my ALK to drop slowly over time and kept it stable once it was at a desired level. I also cut back on filter sock changes and beefed up my feeding to keep my system from going too low on nutrients. When you no longer have to clean your glass, it's obvious your nutrients are on the low side.

Overall, I'd call it a success... i'll update this thread if it comes back. I would recommend this stuff to fellow reefers for pest algaes or routine maintenance.
Really glad to see this. I have some nasty turf/hair algae that I've been dealing with and you're getting me motivated to try it again. I must have stopped a little early with my dosing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back