WB 20g cube and now WB 65.4 Acro/Wrasse Wonderland!!

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All clear the next morning, possibly a bit more ‘film’ on the glass. Lights are still coming up but all coral are looking fat with a very slight increase in polyp extension.
AF recommends dosing this once a week but I’ll start off slowly and dose every 2 weeks for now.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank you got there ! I also use a nero3 and AI prime I love them both

Hey thanks I appreciate that!!
Ya I like the Nero and prime. A good balance between cost and performance. Only thing I don’t like about the prime is since it’s a point light source I notice a lot of shadowing.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! Full of eye candy! I especially like your Miyagi tort one of my faves!
Much appreciated! Thanks for stopping by.
Agreed, that Miyagi is stunning. I just need to find a place for it and stop moving it around ;Facepalm
I reeaaally need to get the new tank up and running soon.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated! Thanks for stopping by.
Agreed, that Miyagi is stunning. I just need to find a place for it and stop moving it around ;Facepalm
I reeaaally need to get the new tank up and running soon.
I guess I was too busy drooling over your acros that I missed the part about a new tank. Do you already have it? What size?

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I was too busy drooling over your acros that I missed the part about a new tank. Do you already have it? What size?

I only briefly mentioned the new tank. I’m getting an IM 30 L. Huuuuge! Ha! I like small tanks and they suit my lifestyle and house.
it will arrive next week. It’s going to be an Acropora only tank since I’ve become somewhat obsessed with them. I may put a torch, Goni and gorgonian or two in there as well for some movement but everything will be set up and focused on the sticks.
Most of the Acros in this 20 cube will be moved over to the 30.
The 20 will become a euphylia and shroom tank, which is what it should have been all along.
Those are the plans anyway!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only briefly mentioned the new tank. I’m getting an IM 30 L. Huuuuge! Ha! I like small tanks and they suit my lifestyle and house.
it will arrive next week. It’s going to be an Acropora only tank since I’ve become somewhat obsessed with them. I may put a torch, Goni and gorgonian or two in there as well for some movement but everything will be set up and focused on the sticks.
Most of the Acros in this 20 cube will be moved over to the 30.
The 20 will become a euphylia and shroom tank, which is what it should have been all along.
Those are the plans anyway!
SWEET!!! I wish I could grow sticks. I have a couple that are doing fine, but most of the stick frags I've gotten over the last year have decided to either STN or RTN their way out of my tank :rolleyes: I should test my parameters more often but I'm a lazy reefer I admit it ;Yawn;Facepalm

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SWEET!!! I wish I could grow sticks. I have a couple that are doing fine, but most of the stick frags I've gotten over the last year have decided to either STN or RTN their way out of my tank :rolleyes: I should test my parameters more often but I'm a lazy reefer I admit it ;Yawn;Facepalm

I honestly believe that trying to keep and grow Acropora has made me a better reefer because I had to get better if I wanted to succeed at them, if that makes any sense.
Trying to focus on Acro in a mixed reef though is pretty darn tricky. Pretty hard to make everything happy. Part of the reason the new tank will be focused.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks I appreciate that!!
Ya I like the Nero and prime. A good balance between cost and performance. Only thing I don’t like about the prime is since it’s a point light source I notice a lot of shadowing.
How high do you have it mounted ?

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10” above the water. Too high too low ya think?
I have mine 10” about the water too I mean I’m only keeping LPS softies and maybe the easiest of sps. I get some shadow in the back behind the rock but I have a nice 100-200 par through tour the tank the top part being 200-250

Attachments

• A6CF01B1-1CC3-4B40-B5A8-B07799C1AB32.jpeg
    A6CF01B1-1CC3-4B40-B5A8-B07799C1AB32.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine 10” about the water too I mean I’m only keeping LPS softies and maybe the easiest of sps. I get some shadow in the back behind the rock but I have a nice 100-200 par through tour the tank the top part being 200-250
Looks really good!!

I've never tested my par so I can't compare there.
I'm mostly talking about my acros as the light doesn't 'wrap' around them. The biggest problem though is how I built my aquascape. I had no idea what I was doing. Just knew I wanted some swim throughs and caves for the fish and to keep the rocks away from the glass. So I ended up with rocks shading out the bottom rocks. Duh!
On the 30L , which is 36" long and narrow and low I'm going to stick with the primes but use 3 of them. Plus spend a lot more time and effort on my scape.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks, take this for what it's worth.
It's been 24 hours since I dosed the AF Life Source and here's my report. LOL
My Acros have slightly more polyp extension and definitely have coloured up a bit. The Xenia, the Neon tip toadstool and the Gorgonians are bigger and fluffier than I've ever seen them.
But the biggest difference is in the hammers and the shrooms. I have never seen my two hammers so big fluffy and happy. It is a very noticeable difference.
My 2 Ricordea and my rhodactis have simply blown up. Easily 25-50% larger than they were yesterday. No joke.
@LRT I imagine you already feed your incredible shrooms but I thought I'd bring this to your attention fyi.

I'm going to stick to the every other week dosing of this stuff but I can say, to my eye and in my particular tank it definitely made a difference.

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! It looks great for only a few months old!

I think I saw that you were gonna use AI primes on you new acro tank? I had one on a 30 gallon and I liked it for my LPS but not so much for my SPS. They kept my SPS alive but they grew pretty slowly and only had color in the parts that were not shaded. What schedule are you using and what percentages if you don't mind me asking? If you're having shading issues, you could also look into some sort of hybrid fixture.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy, welcome and thank you very much! @ccole

I really wanted to go with a T5 Led hybrid but I cant find a unit that is narrow enough for the IM 30L . It's barely 11" front to back and every hybrid fixture I've seen is much wider than that. I'd really love to find one though.

For the prime on this 20 cube I made up my own schedule loosely based on the BRS one. It runs from 8 - 8 with a 1 1/2 hour ramp up and down .
Here's the peak numbers which run from 10am to 2pm.
UV 107%
V 107%
RY 100%
B. 100%
G. 7%
DR 7%
ML 0%
CW 21%

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good!!

I've never tested my par so I can't compare there.
I'm mostly talking about my acros as the light doesn't 'wrap' around them. The biggest problem though is how I built my aquascape. I had no idea what I was doing. Just knew I wanted some swim throughs and caves for the fish and to keep the rocks away from the glass. So I ended up with rocks shading out the bottom rocks. Duh!
On the 30L , which is 36" long and narrow and low I'm going to stick with the primes but use 3 of them. Plus spend a lot more time and effort on my scape.
I feel that I just through this scape together and kinda just gave up now I’m just trying to figure out a good schedule/ placement for my Nero 3

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks, take this for what it's worth.
It's been 24 hours since I dosed the AF Life Source and here's my report. LOL
My Acros have slightly more polyp extension and definitely have coloured up a bit. The Xenia, the Neon tip toadstool and the Gorgonians are bigger and fluffier than I've ever seen them.
But the biggest difference is in the hammers and the shrooms. I have never seen my two hammers so big fluffy and happy. It is a very noticeable difference.
My 2 Ricordea and my rhodactis have simply blown up. Easily 25-50% larger than they were yesterday. No joke.
@LRT I imagine you already feed your incredible shrooms but I thought I'd bring this to your attention fyi.

I'm going to stick to the every other week dosing of this stuff but I can say, to my eye and in my particular tank it definitely made a difference.
Very interesting! I may have to give this a go and see how shrooms react.
For a minute I though for sure that you released a Kraken that was hovering over your goods looking for a snack:)
20210930_165723.jpg

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! I may have to give this a go and see how shrooms react.
For a minute I though for sure that you released a Kraken that was hovering over your goods looking for a snack:)
20210930_165723.jpg
Holy crapstick!! I think I did!!
It did get scary dark in there lol

there isn’t much information to be found about the life source stuff I think it is just mud/sand from a reef. Sure smells like it. ;)

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crapstick!! I think I did!!
It did get scary dark in there lol

there isn’t much information to be found about the life source stuff I think it is just mud/sand from a reef. Sure smells like it. ;)
Do you see it though? I know I'm not the only one that noticed haha.
I think I seen brs talking about this stuff. I think im going to check it out and see how shrooms react. I dont think it could hurt anything mixing it up a little. Im only currently feeding reef roids and mysis. This may be good for my 2 lonely sticks haha.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back