WB 20g cube and now WB 65.4 Acro/Wrasse Wonderland!!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do :( I would such long hours my lights are only on for an hour or so when I get home
Time to change schedule on the lights. Add an hour to wake up and an hour to lights out. If you can. You can set the time frame to your viewing preferences. For me, things are on a 12 hour light period. 5 hours of ramp up, the rest of the time it is low levels of light.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to change schedule on the lights. Add an hour to wake up and an hour to lights out. If you can. You can set the time frame to your viewing preferences. For me, things are on a 12 hour light period. 5 hours of ramp up, the rest of the time it is low levels of light.
7179D149-2535-4FBF-B261-91B892A63218.png

This is what I have now ! Just work is busy I’m usually home by 6 but now it’s 10 haha I have it set from 12-11 1 hour ramp up and ramp down

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha I have to be totally real. Ive been looking at white tips on my slimer almost convinced that im burning them up or doing something wrong but did see nice polyp extension coming out of them yesterday so thinking maybe its ok lol.
Seeing white tips freaks me out sometimes too. Lol. Always get the magnifying glass out and make sure there’s flesh and polyps then I do my happy dance because it’s growth.
dance party GIF

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have to admit I've been slacking a bit on the tank the last couple of weeks. For me anyway. Life things changed and it threw my schedule off significantly. I do a weekly water change but I missed last Saturday (for the first time ever) and didn't really do all of my regular maintenance.
Tank is still fine but definitely needs a makeover today.
Just did all my testing and everything is okeydokie except my nitrates went from 16, a couple of days after last WC, to 23. Yikes. Not a crazy jump but significant. Will do my WC today and another one on Wednesday methinks.
Not gonna beat myself up over it though LOL

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some topdown spamalama.
This is my Appleberry Montipora Verrucosa and it was my very first sps. About a month ago it was near death, almost 80% bleached out and no growth at all. So as a final last gasp effort I moved it up into more light and flow and it completely recovered and took off. It has tripled in size in the last month and is growing upwards and outwards every day. Very cool. It's hard to tell the height from this pic but it grows spires as well.
AppleberryMonti.jpg

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my Bonsai Acropora Valida which was my first Acropora and started this crazy addiction. It was a big chunky frag when I got it and settled in almost immediately. Its' many branches are growing daily and it's a real beauty. Also a great first Acropora for anyone as it seems to be very 'tolerant'. Incredible blue purple body with neon green polyps.
BonsaiValida.jpg

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely a favourite. The RRC Rainbow Loom. I liked it so much I bought 2 frags Ha! One is living on the rack for now and I have this one in high light and flow and it's coloured up very nicely and is encrusting daily. Polyps are a beautiful yellow and the body is a lime green and sorta rusty red. Really enjoy watching the progress on this one.. Due to its location it's hard to get a good angle for a pic so this is the best I could do with minimal effort.

RainbowLoomTopdown.jpg

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which brings us to my most expensive coral. Definitely an impulse buy. The RRC Shazam. This one is also hard to get a pic of. It really hasn't done much of anything since I got it but recently has started to encrust more and more so I think it's starting to find its happy place. Gorgeous teal and blue body with red polyps (when they come out). My first fancy smooth skin Acropora. High hopes!!!!

RRCShazamtopdown.jpg

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've lost control of my alkalinity. As I said I missed 1 weekly water change and also missed 1 day of dosing (don't ask :rolleyes: ) and these are my last 5 readings.
The 8.6 is where it's supposed to be, then chaos.

TueOct 12, 2021 09:027.7 dKH
MonOct 11, 2021 11:318.7 dKH
MonOct 11, 2021 10:077.7 dKH
SatOct 9, 2021 10:389.3 dKH
MonOct 4, 2021 16:078.6 dKH

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can absolutely see a difference in the corals, not just the sps but the hammers and mushrooms too. Going to try and settle things down slowly. It is possible that with all the new stony growth that the alk consumption has increased but I really think that with such a small water volume that extreme consistency is vital. I may have to invest in a couple of dosing pumps ;Facepalm

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've lost control of my alkalinity. As I said I missed 1 weekly water change and also missed 1 day of dosing (don't ask :rolleyes: ) and these are my last 5 readings.
The 8.6 is where it's supposed to be, then chaos.

TueOct 12, 2021 09:027.7 dKH
MonOct 11, 2021 11:318.7 dKH
MonOct 11, 2021 10:077.7 dKH
SatOct 9, 2021 10:389.3 dKH
MonOct 4, 2021 16:078.6 dKH
I wonder why alk shoots up like that I’m still not familiar with this stuff lol

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be that time of the month haha Ive been going through same thing. Seems like I'll get wierd alk consumption whenever I disrupt the system with cleaning or water changes. Still trying to get water changes down.
Doesn't help to forget to dose. Just did the same thing cpl days ago. The addition of the new monti and sticks bumped my consumption up a little so thats been fun as well.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why alk shoots up like that I’m still not familiar with this stuff lol
To be fair ( to me lol ) that 9.3 reading was just an hour after dosing so is probably reading a bit high. I think the tank was just unsettled and reacted. Nitrates had shot up and ph had dropped a little so it may have just been a freak out response. That’s my highly scientific explanation lol

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be that time of the month haha Ive been going through same thing. Seems like I'll get wierd alk consumption whenever I disrupt the system with cleaning or water changes. Still trying to get water changes down.
Doesn't help to forget to dose. Just did the same thing cpl days ago. The addition of the new monti and sticks bumped my consumption up a little so thats been fun as well.
Ha! Could definitely be a ‘ mood swing’.
Water changes certainly have an affect no doubt. I had taken the wc into account previously and was dosing regular amount on wc days and was only seeing a 0.3 ish rise in alk which would settle after 24 hours.
it certainly is quite the balancing act Ha! It is one I enjoy though, it’s very fascinating.

Back