WB 20g cube and now WB 65.4 Acro/Wrasse Wonderland!!

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Could definitely be a ‘ mood swing’.
Water changes certainly have an affect no doubt. I had taken the wc into account previously and was dosing regular amount on wc days and was only seeing a 0.3 ish rise in alk which would settle after 24 hours.
it certainly is quite the balancing act Ha! It is one I enjoy though, it’s very fascinating.
I actually have to do biweekly water changes to get some nutrients in the system now I know there are some there because the corals are happy but long term I need more

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need recommendations for a t5 led hybrid fixture for the new IM 30L. The problem is the tank is 36” long but only 11” front to back and all the fixtures I’ve seen are too wide.
If I can’t find one I’ll go with 3 AI primes but I’m thinking there must be something available?!

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I seem to have got the alk back under control, it's been 8.4 the last couple of mornings before dosing so I'll just increase it a tiny bit to get it back up to the 8.6 I like. Coral and everything are doing fine.

BUT what the actual F is going on with my phosphate?!?! Tested on Tuesday and it was 0.54 , yes not a typo, and this morning it was 0.00 ! This has got to be testing error right? using the Hanna checker. Will test again this evening.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I seem to have got the alk back under control, it's been 8.4 the last couple of mornings before dosing so I'll just increase it a tiny bit to get it back up to the 8.6 I like. Coral and everything are doing fine.

BUT what the actual F is going on with my phosphate?!?! Tested on Tuesday and it was 0.54 , yes not a typo, and this morning it was 0.00 ! This has got to be testing error right? using the Hanna checker. Will test again this evening.
Oooo it might be a testing error, but then again how accurate are these test anyway lol

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my Hanna Alk and posphate have given me inaccurate readings in the past. Always scary to see your alkalinity at 5.2 and your phosphates at .45!

Your test test results look good to me. I wouldn’t worry about nitrates yet. Mine run around there too with no negative affects so far!

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays testing
Ph 8.17
Nitrate 21.6
Phosphate 0.02
Alk 8.7
Calcium 500
Magnesium 1500

alk is back in line. My calcium and magnesium are always the same. Ph ok a little low
Nitrates high and phosphate ya whatever I dunno
My problem is nitrates won’t go anywhere for me haha more feeding less water changes

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this the other day in the village. Dream car for me. Absolutely concours condition.
59E290B3-59E1-4C0A-A220-B3177DD74B77.jpeg
61AB86BB-0AC3-4456-97E5-4F89DC3B87E1.jpeg
41BF7CD8-5688-467D-BE6F-F258822F28C5.jpeg

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my Hanna Alk and posphate have given me inaccurate readings in the past. Always scary to see your alkalinity at 5.2 and your phosphates at .45!

Your test test results look good to me. I wouldn’t worry about nitrates yet. Mine run around there too with no negative affects so far!
Yes agreed. My nitrates hang out between 15-20 so I’m ok with that number. A water change later today will knock it down to 16 or 17 ish.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks I’m thinking about fish for the new tank. As a refresher tank is 30g but it’s long, 3 feet in length. So I’m thinking the length will allow for some slightly bigger free swimmers. Correct me if I’m wrong please.
I really want a wrasse as I really love pinky the possum wrasse in the cube. Would a Mckoskers work? Earmuff? I also want a filefish, either a Pygmy or an Aiptasia eater.
I really want fish that are out and about. I have 2 clowns a firefish and the possum in the 20 so I don’t really want to copy those. Although if there’s a slightly different type of possum I’d consider it.
so what say you?
@Mibu @LRT @James_O @Lost in the Sauce @SaltyT @shadow_k @fishguy242 @danieyella @najer @sp1187 and @everyoneiforgottoannoywiththis

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filefish can eventually eat coral, sometimes the risk is worth it. McCosker would work. I know other people say 55g. But they are a 3 inch fish and if kept in a peaceful environment. 30g shouldn't be bad. Earmuff may not work. I think they get up to 10"
I do agree that filefish will eat LPS, so that may not be the best choice.

Would a Mckoskers work? Earmuff?
I found this old thread regarding wrasses in a 30g.

Seems a Mckosker would work in a 30g!

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filefish can eventually eat coral, sometimes the risk is worth it. McCosker would work. I know other people say 55g. But they are a 3 inch fish and if kept in a peaceful environment. 30g shouldn't be bad. Earmuff may not work. I think they get up to 10"

I do agree that filefish will eat LPS, so that may not be the best choice.

I found this old thread regarding wrasses in a 30g.

Seems a Mckosker would work in a 30g!

how about a gulf neon wrasse... ;)
excellent thanks!
Rightly or wrongly I think I’m willing to accept the risk with a filefish. The pigmy is allegedly reef safe.
Yikes I didn’t realize the earmuff got that big, that’s out!
Thanks for that link James, it appears the Lubbocks Fairy is also a possibility!
I like that neon! Hmmm can grow to 7” though

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk why but my first thought came to blenny and that's probably because we are looking at getting another one. Super cool fish with great personalities once they warm up to you. I think the length would be great and it would have lots of little spots to chill.
Not sure how it would get along with a wrasse plucking on its rocks all day though. And probably not a great worker fish unless you get one that will actually eat turf algae.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk why but my first thought came to blenny and that's probably because we are looking at getting another one. Super cool fish with great personalities once they warm up to you. I think the length would be great and it would have lots of little spots to chill.
Not sure how it would get along with a wrasse plucking on its rocks all day though. And probably not a great worker fish unless you get one that will actually eat turf algae.
Definitely considering a blenny! They seem like a very entertaining fish lol. Would be nice to have a worker. But mainly I’d like one so I could call it Lemmy (Motörhead) lol

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've qt'd and brought two Aptasia eating file fish into the display. First one got eaten by a tube nem after about a week, second one mowed down the few Zoas I have left decimating a few colonies that never recovered. I've personally sworn them off.

I'm not sure about wrasse compatibility in that size tank. I'm familiar with the 29 gallon dimensions which is what I'm imagining this being, And honestly I'm not sure if that has enough room in it for a Mckoskars/carpenters size. I'll leave that to salty. I've seen 6 lines in pretty small tanks and they Are active.

Pj Cardinals are pretty, cheap, and always visible. Royal Gramma could work But those have a habit of having a hole for a home and not going too far from it.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've qt'd and brought two Aptasia eating file fish into the display. First one got eaten by a tube nem after about a week, second one mowed down the few Zoas I have left decimating a few colonies that never recovered. I've personally sworn them off.

I'm not sure about wrasse compatibility in that size tank. I'm familiar with the 29 gallon dimensions which is what I'm imagining this being, And honestly I'm not sure if that has enough room in it for a Mckoskars/carpenters size. I'll leave that to salty. I've seen 6 lines in pretty small tanks and they Are active.

Pj Cardinals are pretty, cheap, and always visible. Royal Gramma could work But those have a habit of having a hole for a home and not going too far from it.
Pyjamas are definitely an option plus I could get more than one which is appealing.
Not feeling a Gramma for some reason.

oh right! What about a basslet?! What’s that poor mans candy basslet called again?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back