WB 20g cube and now WB 65.4 Acro/Wrasse Wonderland!!

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Primadonna moment has passed…as always

C5247502-68EA-4A2B-9A26-2AB2DA446E4D.jpeg

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Primadonna moment has passed…as always

C5247502-68EA-4A2B-9A26-2AB2DA446E4D.jpeg
Yes I only felt with file fish the and I can confirm they do go after corals. I usually use them for my aiptasia problem then return them to the lfs.

mans as fish guy said a gulf neon wrasse would do great !

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks I’m thinking about fish for the new tank. As a refresher tank is 30g but it’s long, 3 feet in length. So I’m thinking the length will allow for some slightly bigger free swimmers. Correct me if I’m wrong please.
I really want a wrasse as I really love pinky the possum wrasse in the cube. Would a Mckoskers work? Earmuff? I also want a filefish, either a Pygmy or an Aiptasia eater.
I really want fish that are out and about. I have 2 clowns a firefish and the possum in the 20 so I don’t really want to copy those. Although if there’s a slightly different type of possum I’d consider it.
so what say you?
Earmuffs get big, my guy is a tank and is nearly 6 inches already. Your tank dimensions aren't ideal for a flasher wrasse. Flashers spook easily and dart around very quickly when you put them in tanks that are less than 4 feet in length their tendency to dash into the glass and rocks increases which also increases the chances of them getting a spinal injury.

+1 to a Lubbocks fairy wrasse working. The Cebu variant is really nice IMO.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earmuffs get big, my guy is a tank and is nearly 6 inches already. Your tank dimensions aren't ideal for a flasher wrasse. Flashers spook easily and dart around very quickly when you put them in tanks that are less than 4 feet in length their tendency to dash into the glass and rocks increases which also increases the chances of them getting a spinal injury.

+1 to a Lubbocks fairy wrasse working. The Cebu variant is really nice IMO.
Thanks for replying. You da go to wrasse wrangler!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I would like that a lot.
What do you think @SaltyT ?
It's possible. If you're looking to keep a leopard long term in your current tank a few of the smaller, slower growers are the black leopard and Kuiter's leopard, but both are tough to acclimate to captive life. If you plan on upgrading or are okay with rehoming down the road, you could try a small blue star or ornate leopard. They adapt to captive life better, but both can get 5 inches with thick bodies.

The key to success with leopards is acquiring a healthy specimen from the start. Make sure there is no pinching behind the head or damage to their beak. If you're serious about trying one let me know I can give you a few tips.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible. If you're looking to keep a leopard long term in your current tank a few of the smaller, slower growers are the black leopard and Kuiter's leopard, but both are tough to acclimate to captive life. If you plan on upgrading or are okay with rehoming down the road, you could try a small blue star or ornate leopard. They adapt to captive life better, but both can get 5 inches with thick bodies.

The key to success with leopards is acquiring a healthy specimen from the start. Make sure there is no pinching behind the head or damage to their beak. If you're serious about trying one let me know I can give you a few tips.
I'd be interested in where to source healthy blue star leopard. Haven't found one locally and my people don't ever see them at the distributors.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you very much. This is really good information! I’m going to do some wrasse-centric research and I’ll get back to you with probably many more questions. Lol
One of my lfs had a Choats in a few months back, stunning fish but a high pressure acquisition I think.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested in where to source healthy blue star leopard. Haven't found one locally and my people don't ever see them at the distributors.
I really think I’m heading towards a bigass fowlr tank filled with wrasses and triggers somewhere down the road ;Facepalm ;Facepalm

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

z-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. This is really good information! I’m going to do some wrasse-centric research and I’ll get back to you with probably many more questions. Lol
One of my lfs had a Choats in a few months back, stunning fish but a high pressure acquisition I think.
Ya candy corals in sauga had a choats a few weeks ago I think. I got my blue star from them and i currently have a regular one. I can help ya find one if you decide on one!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think I’m heading towards a bigass fowlr tank filled with wrasses and triggers somewhere down the road ;Facepalm ;Facepalm
Same when some of these tangs start outgrowing the 180, but that'll be a few years off.

I'm looking for a blue star leopard for the reefer nemtank.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome!

Choats have poor survival rates not many people can keep them alive beyond 6 months. It's too bad because they are absolutely stunning.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya candy corals in sauga had a choats a few weeks ago I think. I got my blue star from them and i currently have a regular one. I can help ya find one if you decide on one!
Yes! That’s where I saw it. I make the 2 hour drive to Candy about once a month. Great shop.
and thanks! You gots dem connections? :cool:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems they are preorders for females. Is this one of the sub species that females are the flashy ones?
In this species the female is better looking than the male IMO. If you prefer the males you'll have better luck with one of these transitioning to male than any of the other leopards.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back