WB 20g cube and now WB 65.4 Acro/Wrasse Wonderland!!

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread was active today!

Okay my feedback. Filefish are hit/miss. My first one mowed down aiptasia then turned to zoas. My second wouldn't touch aiptasia. My third was a perfect angel and behaved himself perfectly - then jumped through the feed cutout and roasted (RIP). This one, straight for my micromussa and now living in the sump.

My gramma & bicolor blenny were the first two fish *I* purchased for my tank back when I got the 20 from a friend w/ the clowns. I love them both, they're both very docile. The blenny has a ton of personality.

I have a lantern basslet, mine is super chill - like a puppy, greets me at the tank and kinda does that dog roll over submissive thing. @Lost in the Sauce had terrible luck with the one he got in a tank purchase. Can't speak towards the swissguard though.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay my feedback. Filefish are hit/miss. My first one mowed down aiptasia then turned to zoas. My second wouldn't touch aiptasia. My third was a perfect angel and behaved himself perfectly - then jumped through the feed cutout and roasted (RIP). This one, straight for my micromussa and now living in the sump.

My gramma & bicolor blenny were the first two fish *I* purchased for my tank back when I got the 20 from a friend w/ the clowns. I love them both, they're both very docile. The blenny has a ton of personality.

I have a lantern basslet, mine is super chill - like a puppy, greets me at the tank and kinda does that dog roll over submissive thing. @Lost in the Sauce had terrible luck with the one he got in a tank purchase. Can't speak towards the swissguard though.
To be fair to the basslet, That came with my 120, I was told by the previous owner that that specific fish was the angry hater of the group. I was also told a flame fin Tomini was an orange shoulder, And the Chinese black box is running the tanks were 400 bucks a piece, So take that information with a grain of caution please. I didn't have another tank to test any of that with so it was gone before I really could get a read on it. It was a super cool fish.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!!
The consensus is definitely that filefish are a bit risky. I still want one ;Facepalm Ha!
im thinking a blenny is also a must have, so many to choose from though. I’ll have to give that some research too. Small tank owners are so limited in utilitarian fish choices. Im going to look further into basslets as well. Don’t hear much about them. The Swiss guard is a looker.
Also thinking about a goby/shrimp pairing.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!
The consensus is definitely that filefish are a bit risky. I still want one ;Facepalm Ha!
im thinking a blenny is also a must have, so many to choose from though. I’ll have to give that some research too. Small tank owners are so limited in utilitarian fish choices. Im going to look further into basslets as well. Don’t hear much about them. The Swiss guard is a looker.
Also thinking about a goby/shrimp pairing.
I hated listening to my pistol shrimp click. Drove me insane overnight.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8EF99A1F-4867-4C97-B908-25A08BF4C7FE.jpeg

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great,i have been keeping sps 30 yrs. could never keep the red dragon...:oops: very nice...:cool:
Thanks brother!
The Red Dragon got off to a very rocky start. Here’s a pic of the first piece I got less than 12 hours after I put it in the tank. By the end of the day it was completely gonzo.
93A3FC3E-377E-457F-A809-C04DE591F157.jpeg

Went back to the shop and got a full refund and picked up this mini colony to replace it.
7DCC6C88-F1EF-4D25-8615-64B821EE6B03.jpeg

As you can see it was heading in the same direction so I fragged the heck out of it and ended up with about 15 pieces which are now all over the tank lol
One of my favourites , love the colour and growth pattern.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I suppose it’s my right to change my mind, that’s what I hear from the girlfriend all the time anyway;).
The IM 30L has been delayed twice now so I’ve canceled the order and have decided to go with a different tank altogether. ;Facepalm
Yup I’m going bigger. Either a 3’ long 50 gallon or a 4’ long 60g.
This simple size upgrade will dramatically change the type of fish I can keep. It’s all about the wrasse actually lol
I’m thinking either the IM sr60 or the WB AIO 60.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that in mind, I’m leaning toward another AIO since that’s what I know. I’m not a gear guy so don’t need room for reactors etc etc.
so am I missing out by not going with a sump ? What are the benefits besides increased water volume?
The major benefits to me are increased system volume, and keeping the gear out of the display.

Another is storing cycled media. I keep 2 clean cycled sponge filters in the sump for quick use in throwing together a ht/qt.

ATO's imo do better when the sensors are mounted in the return pump section of your sump which should be a bit more stable than the return on an AOI.

Sound is also another one. Moving your pump and filtration gear below the tank removes a lot of the ancillary sounds you have but from filtration.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The major benefits to me are increased system volume, and keeping the gear out of the display.

Another is storing cycled media. I keep 2 clean cycled sponge filters in the sump for quick use in throwing together a ht/qt.

ATO's imo do better when the sensors are mounted in the return pump section of your sump which should be a bit more stable than the return on an AOI.

Sound is also another one. Moving your pump and filtration gear below the tank removes a lot of the ancillary sounds you have but from filtration.
Thanks sauce, good points.
I do keep my ato sensor in the return pump section but I’d have to say it isn’t as consistent as I’d like.
While my cube is pretty quiet any decrease in noise would certainly be a benefit. Also being able to hide the ato water reservoir would be nice too.
hmmmmmm

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible for silicates to make it past the rodi filters we use. So that could be a source of food for them
Thanks. Currently it’s not really an issue just surprised me. Got them at 6 weeks in and figured that would be the end of them.

OP
OP
elorablue

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well folks it’s time to see what kind of reefer I really am. :)
After many months of smooth sailing the tank is not doing so great at this time.
Aiptasia is doing very well unfortunately and I have some brown algae like substance on the glass and sand that is also quite happy with itself
Fish are all fine and the softies and euphyllia are trucking right along but my acros, while they’re still growing, are definitely less cheery than they have been.
Time to get to work :cool:

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well folks it’s time to see what kind of reefer I really am. :)
After many months of smooth sailing the tank is not doing so great at this time.
Aiptasia is doing very well unfortunately and I have some brown algae like substance on the glass and sand that is also quite happy with itself
Fish are all fine and the softies and euphyllia are trucking right along but my acros, while they’re still growing, are definitely less cheery than they have been.
Time to get to work :cool:
Good luck you will knock this out !

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back