Lava ?

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading a lot about live rock (dried and wet), can I use lava rocks that have never been in the ocean. Ah'ah is very porous and very interesting shapes.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived on the Big Island of Hawaii for 18 years and was in awe of shapes the cooled lava could take (both a'a and pahoehoe.)
One of the first books I saved my allowance to buy about marine fishes way back in the 60's was by a fellow named Baker who was at the Shedd Aquarium. Baker stated that care should be exercised when using lava rock as it *might* contain large amounts of copper.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived on the Big Island of Hawaii for 18 years and was in awe of shapes the cooled lava could take (both a'a and pahoehoe.)
One of the first books I saved my allowance to buy about marine fishes way back in the 60's was by a fellow named Baker who was at the Shedd Aquarium. Baker stated that care should be exercised when using lava rock as it *might* contain large amounts of copper.
Very interesting & thanks for sharing. Any chance you can also share the title of the book &/or authors full name? Thanks again.

OP
OP
R

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how I could find out the copper level. I have the coolest 30" long natural red arch that I would love to use as a base to build on

cCRAWLINS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also seen results of lava rock leeching iron. So I wouldn't recommend it

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting & thanks for sharing. Any chance you can also share the title of the book &/or authors full name? Thanks again.
I bought that book when I was probably 12 (53 years ago) and it is long lost. I looked on Amazon and didn't see it. Baker also stated in this book that corals collected from the ocean should be power washed to remove living tissues as corals can't be maintained in captivity! If I run across that book I'll let you know.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought that book when I was probably 12 (53 years ago) and it is long lost. I looked on Amazon and didn't see it. Baker also stated in this book that corals collected from the ocean should be power washed to remove living tissues as corals can't be maintained in captivity! If I run across that book I'll let you know.
Lol. That's back when having bleached white giant skeletons on your dining room table was cool.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. That's back when having bleached white giant skeletons on your dining room table was cool.
Yes, it was. I recall going to some of the curio shops in Panama City, FL when I was a kid and seeing large Acropora palmata, Pocillopora meandrina, and Tubipora skeletons for sale.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it was. I recall going to some of the curio shops in Panama City, FL when I was a kid and seeing large Acropora palmata, Pocillopora meandrina, and Tubipora skeletons for sale.
Yup. My grandparents had a huge tabling colony and a giant acropora colony on their table. I never thought anything of it until I started getting into reefing in the early 2000s

Back