OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have quite a few tangs and they like to fight at night but it’s nothing crazy aggressive.

I feed LRS fish frenzy and LRS reef frenzy. All fish are eating well and have a good appetite. Red and green nori added daily as well.

I could add more feedings.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals are huge and happy you can tell they’ve been fed well

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we await diagnostics on the swimmers I’d add thats additionally a good job on rock maturation, considering not long ago that was all dry, youve managed to get healthy sponge growth going and corals acclimated nicely from the prior setup.

those rocks look great considering the challenges most folks have a few mos after startup, you have nice balances in that big reef for sure.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are nips from other tangs.. or attempted nips but hard hits.

The other Tangs are systematically taking the lavender out of play. They'll keep hitting or nipping until its dead.

Sometimes things work out if the lavender stands it's ground but more often than not...no

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we await diagnostics on the swimmers I’d add thats additionally a good job on rock maturation, considering not long ago that was all dry, youve managed to get healthy sponge growth going and corals acclimated nicely from the prior setup.

those rocks look great considering the challenges most folks have a few mos after startup, you have nice balances in that big reef for sure.
Thanks Brandon. I don’t think my rocks are mature. The sponge I assume you are looking at in the 3rd picture is just glue.

I don’t think my live rocks fully died off from leaving them dried for a week. It doesn’t make sense how I passed the ugly stage.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the personality of the injured Tang?

Those looks to be from the other fish to me.
It’s personality is pretty passive. It likes to swim and nip the glass for algae. I never see this fish fighting with others but when the lights go out the tangs start getting aggressive with each other. I think I might turn on a moonlight because I noticed as soon as it gets dark things get aggressive

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s personality is pretty passive. It likes to swim and nip the glass for algae. I never see this fish fighting with others but when the lights go out the tangs start getting aggressive with each other. I think I might turn on a moonlight because I noticed as soon as it gets dark things get aggressive
Looks to me like the gang is throwing that one out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appears to be viral and looks like infections of Trichodina can cause a greyish, white film over the body of the fish. It is associated usually with poor water quality and/or diet. Not sure what test kits you are using but I would take a look at ammonia/ph/nitrate levels as well as salinity.
For diet, seeing other tangs in the tank, feed at minimum:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

For your fish, I would start with a 5 minute fw dip using the same temperature as display tank and a 60 minute formalin bath or ruby rally bath. This should help it recover to normal pigment.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can’t be my water quality. I use multiple sources to test my water: Red Sea,api spin master at LFS, salifert. Ammonia is 0. Salinity with calibrated refractometer is good.

Am I expected to give all my fish a bath? Is this contagious? @vetteguy53081

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can anyone know what this is before it expresses fully

they use fallow to starve systems across the board/ catch the widest array of possibles

nobody can take an all inclusive approach where mixed vectors bring in X directly into the system and tell you about it this early.

all inclusive meaning whatever the fish pick up from prior holding systems before your tank, as they’re set inside yours everything they import is added to the mix and is seen to express within several months across most fish in the tank. You’ve seen the working examples lately in example posts

for example if ten non quarantined fish from different places are added to a system, we can’t tell this soon which maladies have been imported.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can anyone know what this is before it expresses fully

they use fallow to starve systems across the board/ catch the widest array of possibles

nobody can take an all inclusive approach where mixed vectors bring in X directly into the system and tell you about it this early.

all inclusive meaning whatever the fish pick up from prior holding systems before your tank, as they’re set inside yours everything they import is added to the mix
I don’t understand what your underlying message is.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I quarantined…but it took 2 months for this to pop out…could quarantine even fix this viral issue?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back