Law of Attraction (Microbes)

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filming microbes with my Amscope 670Q-PL underbrightfield microscopsy, without a coverslip on the slide allows microbes free reign without confinements. This allows us a quick glimpse of their natural movement in a hostile yet much needed environment for survival and procreation. You will notice that both microbes are the same, but one is darker than the other, I infer male and female as they stay close together, you can clearly see that as I focus from one to the other.

View both short videos and let me know if you can ID both of these microbes, I am fanscinated by this world many call microcosm.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Filming microbes with my Amscope 670Q-PL underbrightfield microscopsy, without a coverslip on the slide allows microbes free reign without confinements. This allows us a quick glimpse of their natural movement in a hostile yet much needed environment for survival and procreation. You will notice that both microbes are the same, but one is darker than the other, I infer male and female as they stay close together, you can clearly see that as I focus from one to the other.

View both short videos and let me know if you can ID both of these microbes, I am fanscinated by this world many call microcosm.

Nice pictures!! - I cannot identify them - but - they are not 'microbes' - which are 'bacteria' - these are eukaryotes. What magnification is this done at (that would also help)

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pictures!! - I cannot identify them - but - they are not 'microbes' - which are 'bacteria' - these are eukaryotes. What magnification is this done at (that would also help)
Thanks for the information, the trinocular head used a 20X eyepiece with two objectives 4X, 10X. So 80X-200X. I didn't go beyond that due to not having a coverslip which would have immersed my objectives into the slide.

I was viewing them using my 10x eyepieces on the binocular head, allowing me to move around to film them better.

They remind me of water bear Tardigrades.

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another video that I did, where I used a coverslip on the slide so you can see the segmented body of the micro-organism, can you ID him with this video?

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thanks are these guys commonly found in our reefs? What is there purpose are they bad flatworms sound like bad news?

Taking a better look, the ones I filmed have more oval look than the one pictured. I have seen those flatworms from your picture in other videos I have taken, however I might think the ones I video might be called something else, perhaps?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! Thanks are these guys commonly found in our reefs? What is there purpose are they bad flatworms sound like bad news?

Taking a better look, the ones I filmed have more oval look than the one pictured. I have seen those flatworms from your picture in other videos I have taken, however I might think the ones I video might be called something else, perhaps?
They are multiple sizes and shapes - it was the upward looking kind of 'crossed' eyes that gave the hint. But I wanted to google a specific picture to be sure. Yes - are common - and some are not great to have around. https://reefcraze.com/what-eats-flatworms-in-a-reef-tank/

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see the video I found on regeneration genes that they possess? Wow!

These are either turbellarians or planaria - both are flatworms. There are parasitic turbellarians, but you won't find them free living like this, so these are harmless.

When I was a kid my dad told me about a story where a researcher taught planaria to run a maze. He then cut up the planaria and they regenerated and each piece could still run the maze. He then fed the planaria to others and then they seemed to also run the maze. This article clarifies that a bit though:

Jay

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are either turbellarians or planaria - both are flatworms. There are parasitic turbellarians, but you won't find them free living like this, so these are harmless.

When I was a kid my dad told me about a story where a researcher taught planaria to run a maze. He then cut up the planaria and they regenerated and each piece could still run the maze. He then fed the planaria to others and then they seemed to also run the maze. This article clarifies that a bit though:

Jay
Incredible reading! Fascinated by the microscopic world found in our reef tanks!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back