Lawn Mower Blenny not moving (need a fish ambulance?)

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my lawn mower blenny in my 5.5 month old 32 gallon DT for 28 days.

For the past 48 hours he has stayed in one place in the tank. He flips his orientation on the ledge 180 degrees, maybe once or twice a day. He's clearly in a spot where he doesn't have to support himself.

He's breathing and his eyes move.

But I'm not sure what to do for him. Leave him? Put him in a hospital tank?

My first guess is that he is starving to death, which is why he's not out and about. But I have no idea. He's not that thin. He has generally seemed healthy.

The TL/DNR;

He's never eaten anything I've tried in earnest to give him (various algae preparations/nori, etc.). Instead, he's been pecking mostly at the algae on the back of the tank and other areas. He certainly eats, and spends a lot of time doing it. I can see areas on the back of the tank that he has cleared, for example. For some mysterious reason there is one spot on a very small part of my substantial rockscape where he pecks aggressively at the rock (the kind of behavior I'd expect based on research), whereas he doesn't "clean" the rest of my rock work. I have no idea if he's getting enough food though. If anything he has gotten a little "whispy-ier", certainly not bigger and fatter like all my other fish. It's hard to tell. He's obviously not in danger of obesity, but likewise, he hasn't seemed to be starving (I'm not expert though, and again, this has been my primary concern with him).

In recent times, he does this comical thing where he tries to swim into (or come from above to land on) the MP10 and eat algae off that. It's been a little disconcerting that he might get injured, but he's a fairly strong swimmer and I've never witnessed a problem. Maybe he took a beating in that? I see no injuries but he's tucked into a spot, so hard to say for sure.

To my knowledge I do not have DINOs, at least not in major outbreak amounts. But there's various algae problems in this newish tank, and I have wondered if something he's eaten has poisoned him.

I have 5 other very healthy and growing small fish, no one has been picking on him. The tank occasionally has some small amounts of aggression from my blue chromis and/or the yellow coris wrasse, but it's minor and fairly rare. Usually it's the chromis and the wrasse getting into it. Astonishingly, I have an orange fire fish that doesn't take crap from anyone. So the aggression that exists is from whimps, there's no major bullies in the tank.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish are rock scraping scavengers. If the gut area of the fish is sunken in then you are correct that it is slowly dying. If it doesn't look gaunt then whatever it is scavenging is enough.

In the past, some fish collectors would use cyanide to stun and capture the fish. This would destroy the fishes stomach and these fish would live for a while but slowly die of starvation ( and their gut area would look caved in). These injured fish rarely lasted longer than a month of two in captivity. Your's being 5 months seems that it must be collecting nutrition somewhere?

Post a picture of the fish if you can. That would let us see the shape your blenny is in and help with an assessment.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KrisReef I have had him 28 days, not 5 months (tank is 5.5 months).

Pic attached. I gently prodded him with an acrylic rod, got him to move and swim, but this guy is super super super weak. He looks emaciated to me in terms of overall body width/thickness compared to when I bought him.

He's not physically injured, I can see he looks ok as far as that goes.

But he's always been a whispy fish (on the other hand).

His stomach has always seemed a bit pinched only because that's how the fins surround it? I can't tell.

If I knew what he'd eat, I give it to him... But I've tried 3 different algae foods, mysis, two different pellets that the other fish eat heartily. No luck. He goes for weird areas in the tank, avoiding rampant algae spots and instead lighter areas, etc. I removed a bunch of hair algae manually. He would nip at that once in a blue moon, but didn't seem to actually be eating it. Coincidentally, he become relatively immobile right around when I removed the algae. But I'm 99.9% sure that is just coincidence.

Cyanide seems possible, though my LFS is super good (QT, etc.). Not sure she could guarantee he was not caught that way though. I guess we're assuming he's not captive bred (not sure these fish are).

PXL_20210124_235226251.NIGHT.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been in this position before.

Is it possible for a fish to act this way (no spots, etc.) and then get better? Seems unlikely.... but I don't know. I imagine they don't get colds or the flu.

If indeed he is starving and there is nothing I can give him, do I euthanize him? Wait for him to die because who knows what's going with him- maybe he recovers?

Wish I knew what I could give him that he would eat.

Fastball16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should mention your blenny’s flirtation with your mp10. Mine was over a year in my aquarium, when he started playing cat and mouse with my mp40 in pulse mode.

RIP old friend. The trip Thru the head (he was almost 5”) provided a feeding fiesta for my narcissus crew.

Yellow Coris Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lawnmower blenny do the exact same thing. He would pick at the glass half heartedly, but he would never eat any prepared food. Much like you, I tried offering him a wide variety of veggie foods. His stomach was always gaunt and concave. After about a month, he died.
Sorry about your fish.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Marina 34217 yeah, sounds like the same story, though there were areas of my tank that this fish cleared. He was eating for sure, just not sure he was getting enough and/or the type of food required. After I got him to move around a bit, he's now virtually drifting on the sand bed. I am leaving him alone but I would guess he will die sometime overnight or tomorrow.

Pre-purchase I did a lot of research but this seems to be one of those fish where contradictory and incorrect information exists. I was under the impression I was getting a hardy and easy to keep fish that would do well in a tank like mine. If the cyanide story is true and was how this fish was captured, that might explain why he didn't make it. Partly I wonder because both my wife and I really like this fish. If I knew the problem, would get another one assuming the problem won't reoccur. Some threads on here and elsewhere indicate this fish is misunderstood and contrary to the common lore, is NOT easy to keep and frequently dies like this.

Not sure where the truth lies.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that fish is starving. The belly should be below the pectoral fin instead of sucked up. I can't swear that this is because of cyanide but it looks similar. Not eating would do the same thing?

These are cool fish. I hope you can find one that is eating voraciously next time.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP Oscar. He perished sometime last night.

Sucks. I suppose I'd try again if I saw one eating in the store- eating something I knew I could feed it.

Cole.mormon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try one from live aquaria

Mine would eat green nor I with 5 drops of garlic extreme selcon and zoe soak it for 20 min then clip it

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back