Lawnmover blenny killing any new fish?

Lith1um

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added one clown and a sailfin tang (4 inch) to my 4 months old tank. I have two lawnmover blennies (one very tiny and one about 4 inches). I have seen both blennies to be aggressive towards my 2 yellow tangs and foxface everytime i put a clip of nori..

New clown (black/white stripe) went missing in the tank the very next day and this morning i woke up to a dead sailfin (even though he was healthy last night but i had seen it get attacked repeatedly by blenny..

i have 170 pounds of live rock in a 120 gallon tank..and i find it impossible to find my missing clown with so much rock.. Even my diamond gobi that went missing last month is not to be found..

i have about 30 hermits,15 turbo snails, 2 cleaner shrimps and 1 red fire shrimp.. maybe they made a meal out of them?

i was successful in getting the smaller blenny out and moved it to my newly setup qt tank (10 gallon).. but i have not been able to get the 4 inch blenny out yet.. he keeps going in between rocks and doesnt come out for quite sometime..

i want to get both blennies out on my tank so i can figure out whats killing my fish. Water perimeters are fine i got it checked by the LFS..

0 ammonia, nitrates at 10

my ph was low at 7.8 so ive been using a buffer to get it to 8.4 since last week

Please advice what should i do? And how to get that blenny out of the tank?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not surprised u found no dead bodies...the cuc made quick work of them.
Use a fish trap to catch the blenny .

OP
OP
L

Lith1um

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need advice here

My clowns had some white stuff on their skin.. so i moved them from my tank to a observation tank.. and they died within 10 hours

untill last night i still had 2 clowns in my tank.. today one is missing and one is acting normal

my lawn mower blenny which i tried for almost an hour to catch and not successful came up dead this morning..

so i feel like either its itch or stress killed him

i went and got seachem cupramine and dosed my “obervation” tank.. ordered hannah copper checker aswell

so question is.. if i find anything abnormal with any fish should i move it to my qt tank right awag? How long should i wait to add fish after dosing my 10 gallon qt tank?
Also i used my display tank water in my qt tank.. is that ok or should use newly mixed water?

currently i have these in my 120 gallon tank
2 yellow tangs
1 coral beauty
2 royal gramma
2 bangai cardinal
1 scopas tang
1 engineer goby
2 cleaner shrimp
1 red fire shrimp

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dt water is fine to use for qt. If the clowns were white i lean toward brooknellya. Do u have a pic?

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was framed ... innocent I tell you

Screenshot_20191114-201606_Messages.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are not the kindest neighbors and can cause issues including knocking over corals.

OP
OP
L

Lith1um

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 5 clowns a month ago and now left with just one..

Whats the best way to treat this last one with brookynella?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had 5 clowns a month ago and now left with just one..

Whats the best way to treat this last one with brookynella?
Treat for10days with use of Metroplex... OR you could probably use General Cure and eliminate the chances of external flukes as well, since it contains Metro plus Prazi together.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've included a R2R link that I hope will help. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/
Also for the future... You can try adding a second clip of nori on the opposite side of the tank so they don't fight at the one location. I had to do that for awhile. After they adjusted to each other, they are now able to share one veggie clip.
I'm just throwing ideas out there. Good luck!

OP
OP
L

Lith1um

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've included a R2R link that I hope will help. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/
Also for the future... You can try adding a second clip of nori on the opposite side of the tank so they don't fight at the one location. I had to do that for awhile. After they adjusted to each other, they are now able to share one veggie clip.
I'm just throwing ideas out there. Good luck!

At the moment its just 2 yellow tangs and foxface that eat nori. My newest tang which is the scopas tang does not go for nori.. any reason why?

none of my clowns ever ate nori.. is that normal?

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment its just 2 yellow tangs and foxface that eat nori. My newest tang which is the scopas tang does not go for nori.. any reason why?

none of my clowns ever ate nori.. is that normal?
Sometimes you need to trick the tangs into eating -- especially when they are new to the tank. Many folks rubber band the veggie sheets to a rock to start with. In my case, my tang refused everything. Then my R2R Secret Santa last year included Julian Sprung's purple seaweed in my gift box. I thought "what the heck" and clipped a sheet to the tank. It went crazy for the purple and it and gobbled it up. Soon it became used to various veggie sheets, and I haven't had a problem since. I keep a photo of the food on my computer, because this question comes up a lot, and it really helped me out. As far as your clowns go, I wouldn't worry about it unless they don't eat at all. They are omnivores and may be picking at your rock to get their daily supply of veggies.
Purple Seaweed.PNG

Back