Lawnmower blenny in refugium to fatten up?

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I should put my Lawnmower blenny in my refugium with my Chaeto and LR to fatten up a bit. The DT is pretty clean and I'm not sure if it's enough food for him right now. I tried nori but so far no luck.

The refugium has some nice hair algae and stuff that i'm sure he'd love to munch on. My concern is the light cycle is different, the section is about 3 gallons too. I have some 1 inch PVC pipes laid on the base he could hide in though.

Thoughts?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some live black worms. If he sees other fish eating it, the he'll go for it, and then you can get him eating other things. Mine ate everything in sight, and I attribute that to him trying the black worms.

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some live black worms. If he sees other fish eating it, the he'll go for it, and then you can get him eating other things. Mine ate everything in sight, and I attribute that to him trying the black worms.

You think i'd have similar luck with white worms? it's a little more accessible and farm-able for me

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look emaciated or what’s prompting you to consider moving it? Does the belly looks pinched? They feed on microalgae and detritus so clean is a relative term. It won’t touch cheato though, you could possibly move a piece of LR to your DT.

My lawnmower blenny ate frozen mysis, frozen spirulina brine shrimp, spirulina pellets and flakes. You could also try Masstick paste. And yes black and white worms are very nutritionally similar - you can culture both.

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look emaciated or what’s prompting you to consider moving it? Does the belly looks pinched? They feed on microalgae and detritus so clean is a relative term. It won’t touch cheato though, you could possibly move a piece of LR to your DT.

My lawnmower blenny ate frozen mysis, frozen spirulina brine shrimp, spirulina pellets and flakes. You could also try Masstick paste. And yes black and white worms are very nutritionally similar - you can culture both.

I've seen some chubby blennies and mine is on the slimmer end, definitely not pinched looking more just straight on the sides and all.
The only reason I dont move LR to the top is coz i'm seeing some bryopsis down in the sump area that isn't in the DT so I dont want to accidentally accelerate the infestation.

I feed my fish frozen mysis and bring with some ON Flakes, but the blenny doesn't seem interested. But i did see him dart for some floating snail doo doo so i ordered some pellets maybe he'll go after them. I'll look into the worms and paste as well.

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my blenny doesnt care much for nori and algae wafers. Turns out his favorite food is Hikari's Marine S pellets. Thanks for the help everyone. Although the blenny didn't like the nori the snails sure did!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back