Lawnmower Blenny Not Eating in QT

tonydig11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a Lawnmower Blenny Friday. He is in a 20g long with a Banggai Cardinalfish. Copper is very low at .75 to start.

He is not eating or even trying. I have seaweed on a clip and also tried vegi flakes, Marine flakes and pellets. Anything else I can try?? The Cardinalfish is eating like a pig.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current one took about 6 months before it ate any prepared foods, so it likely isn't the copper.

You might have better luck with the seaweed if you rubber banded it to rock instead of on the clip. Another food to try would be live brine, if your LFS has it. Good luck.

OP
OP
T

tonydig11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a small rick in and have some nori on it. Now I wait.

OP
OP
T

tonydig11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nori on the rock was a fail. Today is day 5. I scooped him out of QT and acclimated him to my frag system. There is some film algae in there for him. Hope he starts eating.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are omnivores, my bicolor eats the frozen food I prepare (Octopus, Squid, Fish, Clam, and Shrimp). You might want to look at making your own, its cheap and easy to make. Just go to your local Asian Market and buy the ingredients, there's a couple threads on here if you search for them.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicolor and lawnmower blennies are in different genera. Lawnmowers are detrivores, slime, and film algae eaters, similar to bristletooth tangs.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. They'll eat nori, definately hair algae so see if you can find some and put in tank. (Sounds like a dumb idea) All of mine thru history (I've had 3) did this BUT THEY'LL EAT IT AT NIGHT when the light's are off! So if you're judging their appetite by watching, well that'll be a fail. But mine all sucombed to frozen black worms. They loved them. They also eat hikari crab cuisine. I never have seen A lawnmower eat hair algae, Yet, once I put one in a tank covered with it and in 2 days it was gone...same with nori placed on a clip. No hair algae in a tank where the blennies can reach it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back