Lawnmower Blenny Not Eating/Lethargic

Arruna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lawnmower blenny, got him in December of 2020 has always been very active, and happy eater. He eats nori sheets and frozen meats and veggie. Also pics at rocks in a 150 gal.

Yesterday I noticed he didnt come out to eat, he just chilled in the rocks. Acting normal except not coming to eat. Which is very unlike him. Today he seems very lethargic, laying in the sand bed. Still very alert, but still not eating. Hes always breathing kinda fast, but this seems even quicker then normal. His belly looks very fat, but I don't think bloated, do you? Im confident I can catch him and treat, but I dont know what for.

All other fish are fine. (trigger, angel, clowns, wrasses, leopard wrasse, goby, tang)

Just did a water check:
Am: 0
Nitrate: 2
Salt: 1.025
Temp: 78.3-78.9
DKH: 8
Cal: 470 20210901_131255.jpg

Attachments

• 20210901_131259.mp4
    19.3 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These blennies pound the substrate with their flexible jaws and comb-like teeth. While they do eat some algae (the amount varies from one species to the next), recent studies have shown their primary source of food is detritus in the form of detrital aggregates. Because detritus is often overlooked in food-habit studies, its importance as Salarias food has long been overlooked.
These blennies scrape this material off hard surfaces (e.g., coral rock, dead coral skeletons), along with some algae. They will also incidentally ingest tiny invertebrates. For example, the diet of The lawnmower has been reported to include filamentous algae, diatoms, foraminiferans (shelled protozoa), tiny crustaceans, detritus, and sand.
On occasion, this species will also consume fish eggs, sponges, and small snails. They ingest a significant amount of calcium carbonate as they feed, which is not uncommon for herbivores with less selective feeding tactics. While many of the Lawnmowers eat some algae, some steer away from the filamentous forms that can overgrow our aquariums

OP
OP
Arruna

Arruna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These blennies pound the substrate with their flexible jaws and comb-like teeth. While they do eat some algae (the amount varies from one species to the next), recent studies have shown their primary source of food is detritus in the form of detrital aggregates. Because detritus is often overlooked in food-habit studies, its importance as Salarias food has long been overlooked.
These blennies scrape this material off hard surfaces (e.g., coral rock, dead coral skeletons), along with some algae. They will also incidentally ingest tiny invertebrates. For example, the diet of The lawnmower has been reported to include filamentous algae, diatoms, foraminiferans (shelled protozoa), tiny crustaceans, detritus, and sand.
On occasion, this species will also consume fish eggs, sponges, and small snails. They ingest a significant amount of calcium carbonate as they feed, which is not uncommon for herbivores with less selective feeding tactics. While many of the Lawnmowers eat some algae, some steer away from the filamentous forms that can overgrow our aquariums

That's good information, but really isnt prevalent to the topic at hand...

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does this occasionally. I'd be curious what others say as I'd like to know also. When mine does do this (sporadically) he eventually moves from where he is perched (bottom/rocks) and starts swimming up and down (straight up and down) the water column usually in a corner near flow. He poops while doing so. I assumed he was constipated since he always resumes his busy body feeding after going through this. HE IS ALWAYS SCRAPING SOMETHING. Following along.

OP
OP
Arruna

Arruna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does this occasionally. I'd be curious what others say as I'd like to know also. When mine does do this (sporadically) he eventually moves from where he is perched (bottom/rocks) and starts swimming up and down (straight up and down) the water column usually in a corner near flow. He poops while doing so. I assumed he was constipated since he always resumes his busy body feeding after going through this. HE IS ALWAYS SCRAPING SOMETHING. Following along.
That makes me feel better. I hope this is the case. His belly is very full so that would make alot of since. No fish bothers him. But he's fine swimming when needs too. Very alert. Fingers crossed this is the case!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's good information, but really isnt prevalent to the topic at hand...
If you haven’t gathered, they fill their faces constantly and do require an occasional break. In stirring detritus, it can have an adverse affect with water quality, so assure no rise in ammonia and nitrate levels

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes me feel better. I hope this is the case. His belly is very full so that would make alot of since. No fish bothers him. But he's fine swimming when needs too. Very alert. Fingers crossed this is the case!!
@Arruna How did this turn out for you and your fish?

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem is a pinched belly should be fat if you look closely you can see
3b7d60fc_004.jpg
you're mistaking that first hump for his stomach which its not this fat lil guy is fed

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back