Lay of the Land - Whats the difference between the Reefing sites?!

OmriA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lay of the Land - Whats the difference between the Reefing sites?!

Not trying to be controversial here, but I really enjoy reading all the online reefing forums online. I'm just trying to figure out if there are clear differences between some of the sites I am looking through. I'm starting a 140 gallon Reef Tank and would love to do a tank build thread and get some feedback, but wasn't sure if it's better to do it in a local club near me in Jersey so I can meet people and get some good guidance from the more advanced reefers & mentors on these amazing forums. Would love to also swap, trade & buy from people I trust near me.
Are some of these sites more National, is popularity/size a factor.

Here are the sites I find myself on most in no particular order:
ReefCentral
ManhattanReefs
Reefs.com
3Reef
My absolute favorite is Reefkeeping TOTM and any other TOTM's I can find as those are what I aspire to one day do in my tank when I'm my reefkeeping skills get there.

Also, I find that many of the photos/older posts don't open so easily on iPhones. Are there apps you use on a phone that make this easier?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as national/international sites, you've found it.
You won't find a more diverse or knowledgeable group IMHO.
The other nice thing is the peeps on here are friendly. You can get a direct answer and honest criticism if you ask for it.
If you're doing something so incorrect, cruel, or unethical, you may get some forthright opinions.

That aside, you won't be talked down to or ridiculed for being too stupid or poor ;) , or for not running your tank exactly like everyone else.

Local sites are great too. Can't beat finding a reefer next door. I found a guy growing frags 300 yards from my house on a FB group! Some live in my tank now :)

OP
OP
OmriA

OmriA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as national/international sites, you've found it.
You won't find a more diverse or knowledgeable group IMHO.
The other nice thing is the peeps on here are friendly. You can get a direct answer and honest criticism if you ask for it.
If you're doing something so incorrect, cruel, or unethical, you may get some forthright opinions.

That aside, you won't be talked down to or ridiculed for being too stupid or poor ;) , or for not running your tank exactly like everyone else.

Local sites are great too. Can't beat finding a reefer next door. I found a guy growing frags 300 yards from my house on a FB group! Some live in my tank now :)
I'm hoping to find a closely reefer too!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Each one has their own structure, knowledge base and member Base.
R2R is by far the largest and friendliest with many members with experience and expertise not to mention the many incentives R2R offers that many other clubs are unable to ( giveaways, contests, etc)

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This forum has so many knowledgeable people who are always willing to help out. It has a huge following for a reason. Not every suggestion will always work for your particular reefing method but that’s the beauty of this site you will always find at least one that will work for you. And chances are that most of the people in your area that do have reef tanks are already on this site.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the good things about RC are 10+ years old. Many of the good things on R2R are recent. Most forums, reef and otherwise are continuing to die while this one is continuing to grow. While I may still search on reef central for certain things I can't see myself posting there anymore for various reasons.

Another one you didn't mention which has also shrunk in use but still has some good information is nano-reef.com I think they are the only ones still doing a proper TOTM feature. The lack of this here is really the only flaw for R2R imo.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The sense of community; the friendly, helpful people; and the positive, kind vibe make a huge difference for me here - I have gotten to the point where I don't even bother going anywhere else. I use a web browser both on my iPhone and on my computer to successfully access this site.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3Reef was bought by reef2reef actually. If you are looking for healthy discussions, honest constructive criticism, knowledge members, and fast responses then this is the place for you. I would venture to say that most threads have an answer in a matter of 10 mins or less.

Back