OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just keep learning from your tank. Such a perfect analogue to mine. Is that a chaetomax light on your fuge? I just picked one up. Wonder if I couldn’t fit a nice column fuge like you did. I left around 8” of room. Could probably get something custom built replicating what you did for my more narrow spot. Sweet man. Love watching this and learning.

It’s actually a 10”x10” grow panel I got for $20 on eBay. The column is about 13” square so 8” will be a bit small. I moved the panel to the front since the bottom was getting covered in stuff

6b28d920f647c683bf38a0f4bf19ac5d.jpg

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s time for the real test of my tank, I’m leaving on vacation for 2 and a half weeks and other than stopping by to check on the tank the person watching my place hopefully won’t need to do anything. Saying that I did leave the number of an aquarium maintenance service that will come and fix anything that goes wrong so I have that piece of mind.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I went scanning back through the thread and missed where you said what fish if any you have in this system. I remember seeing a clown in your Xenia garden down in your fuge I thought.

I’ve been busy with a 3 week vacation to NZ and work. The tank had a little setback while I was gone but is rebounding.

I was waiting to get back and get fish. In the 8g is a blue fin damsel that is part of the family. In the 25g is a tail spot blenny and a royal gramma. In quarantine for the 25g is a kupang damsel, clown goby. Court jester goby and a bangai cardinal. They will be added in a month or so.

Oh and I have a pair of domino clowns in the sump.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some additions today

Orange yumas
41f0ed3d13d9dfab5c5e1f06b8085e93.jpg

I’ve decided to add Zoas to the mix
6ad713c0b992e2491c2df764adf0dd09.jpg

326f2c51b5de4b007d9f0b8c6e5b919b.jpg
10bed0903f522b6b1d29319c8c6c00e3.jpg
96decf09da700493651243b396f77ff8.jpg
8033d01c983cf6d696c858994fa10d99.jpg

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally set up my avast k1 kalk stirrer. My ph has already taken a nice bump and it’s only been running for about 8 hrs.

I’ve also started a Zoa garden
9acb84081b9dd9ddf153d1bf9ecf513b.jpg

I’ll have to take a picture when it isn’t all blue but there are some scrambled eggs, gobbstoppers, blue slushees and radioactive dragon eyes in there.

I’m going to start a second garden on a bigger rock with my other Zoas I just got

Pandora’s
Seduction people eaters
Sunny D’s
Kedd reds
Blue Blowpops
&
Star screams

I’ve stayed away from zoas since I tore down my zoa tank 12 years ago due to a nudibranch infestation I couldn’t get rid of. Fingers crossed this time around.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the setback? Also what percent do you have your light turned to? I’m playing around with
my super similar tank and still tubing.

I’m not sure the exact setback. I left the country for 2 and a half weeks and when I came back everything was upset and I lost a bunch of sps frags. I had someone taking care of the tank so I’m not sure if anything was introduced, phosphates and nitrates were really high so overfeeding may have been the culprit. The tank has stabilized again so all is good at this point. I’ve decided to add zoas since they are less picky and will add some good colors. I’ll add more sps frags once the tank starts to fill in and have more biomass to help with the feeding. I also had to dose nitrates and phosphates due to no fish load. Now that I’m adding fish I’m hoping to not have to dose nutrients as that may have been part of the issue as well.

As for lighting the Atlantic v4 is at 50% max for 5hr and Ramps up on either end of that for a total of 12hrs if light

The 360x maxes at 60% color and 55% intensity for 5 hrs with ramping at each end totaling 12 hrs

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also decided to get a chiller as the apartment I’m in is older and I’m concerned about what happens if the AC goes.

I got a good deal on a JBL 1/15th HP so I hope that’s enough

Len

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind commenting on the coral growth and overall color rendition you are seeing with the Orphek Atlantik versus the Kessil A360X now that you have had some time with both? I know they are completely different price points, but you have the best system setup for direct comparison. I have a Red Sea Reefer 170 and I am trying to decide if I want to go with something small like the Kessil or go for something more future proof when I upgrade tanks later. I'd probably be looking at the Compact if I went Orphek.

Very interesting to follow your build and very nicely done. Thanks.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I actually have the orphek running lower par than the kessil right now due to what is in each tank. I had some issues this winter with low ph and then a long trip that caused me to lose a lot of my sps. I have decided to go with more of a mixed reef right now with zoas in the small tank with the orphek and sps and zoa in the lagoon with the kessil since it has higher par in the center and lower on the edges

I would say the orphek is much easier to get an even par across the whole tank where the kessil is high in the center and radiates out as you would expect. If I was going to do full sps in the lagoon I would go 2 kessils or a kessil with t5’s since there is definitely shadows on the rock faces that are away from the light. This works fine for zoa and some shrooms which is why I’m doing mixed in the 25g lagoon with kessils.

I really like both lights and will say the orphek is overkill but logs great over my nano. I will eventually use it over a 2’ x 3’ footprint tank (this is my next upgrade) so I can get it’s full potential.

Len

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back