Leaf like algae/critter

Franki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers
So i have these leaf looking algae or hitchhiker growing over my live rock and i was wondering if anyone could id it for me. Ive researched for quite a while and couldnt find it anywhere. My guess is, it is some type of brown/red algae. Would also like to know if its harmful or not. I was able to fish one out of the tank to have a look at it, attached is a photo of the little sucker. Thanks in advance!

IMG_20200605_204221.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible an image in the tank might be of assist.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers
So i have these leaf looking algae or hitchhiker growing over my live rock and i was wondering if anyone could id it for me. Ive researched for quite a while and couldnt find it anywhere. My guess is, it is some type of brown/red algae. Would also like to know if its harmful or not. I was able to fish one out of the tank to have a look at it, attached is a photo of the little sucker. Thanks in advance!

IMG_20200605_204221.jpg

I might as well put your picture under the microscope instead of the algae. Off hand the red algaes I can think of are:

Gracilaria
Cryptonemia
Portieria
Botryocladia
Halymenia

Where did you get your rock from? My guess is Halymenia or Cryptonemia but thats just a guess.

OP
OP
F

Franki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might as well put your picture under the microscope instead of the algae. Off hand the red algaes I can think of are:

Gracilaria
Cryptonemia
Portieria
Botryocladia
Halymenia

Where did you get your rock from? My guess is Halymenia or Cryptonemia but thats just a guess.
They are really small, that one was probably one of the bigger ones. The rock was from my lfs. The tank was setup 4 years ago so I doubt it came with the rock. Throughout the past few years ive tried adding some algae i found at the beach but none of them survived. The last algae I tried was almost a year ago so i ruled out the possibility of being one of those but maybe its possible. From the species you suggested im leaning towards the cryptonemia, which i dont think ive ever came across. Is it dangerous in any way and should i remove it?

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are really small, that one was probably one of the bigger ones. The rock was from my lfs. The tank was setup 4 years ago so I doubt it came with the rock. Throughout the past few years ive tried adding some algae i found at the beach but none of them survived. The last algae I tried was almost a year ago so i ruled out the possibility of being one of those but maybe its possible. From the species you suggested im leaning towards the cryptonemia, which i dont think ive ever came across. Is it dangerous in any way and should i remove it?

I'm no expert, but I cant imagine its dangerous, the big concern would be how invasive/difficult to eradicate it may be. Buuut I've never heard of anyone complaining their tank has been over run by a leafy red algae, and red refugium algaes are fairly desirable, in part because of their scarcity, I'd imagine it would go away on its own.

However I just saw the image you posted, and I'll say its probably just the colors being blown out but that rock looks interesting? Any chance you can get a better photo of the tank, it doesnt have to be a close up of the algae, I'd like to see the rocks.

OP
OP
F

Franki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, but I cant imagine its dangerous, the big concern would be how invasive/difficult to eradicate it may be. Buuut I've never heard of anyone complaining their tank has been over run by a leafy red algae, and red refugium algaes are fairly desirable, in part because of their scarcity, I'd imagine it would go away on its own.

However I just saw the image you posted, and I'll say its probably just the colors being blown out but that rock looks interesting? Any chance you can get a better photo of the tank, it doesnt have to be a close up of the algae, I'd like to see the rocks.
Ok good to hear, if they are not harmful then ill see if i can grow them, would love to get some color in the tank. The rock looks a little off probably because of the lighting, ive been using blue light only since the white is flickering.

IMG_20200605_235939.jpg IMG_20200605_235952.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back