Leak on connection to Gate valve on new hard plumbing job

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished most of the hard plumbing job. Ran an over the back overflow and converted durso to Herbie drain.

The connection between a horizontal run and the gate valve was apparently not made correctly. I do intend to redo the run, it should be easy enough to replace the way I plumbed it.

The leak is directly above a filter sock.

Since replacing the body of the valve will take a couple of days, I'm going to need some sort of stop gap measure to hold the leak in the short term. Duct tape isn't cutting it. What is the suggested temporary fix for the leak until I can get parts to redo the run?

Is pvc cement on the outside of the joint a viable stop gap?

I will need to make more water to allow some replacement for the next run, as well.

Thanks!

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished most of the hard plumbing job. Ran an over the back overflow and converted durso to Herbie drain.

The connection between a horizontal run and the gate valve was apparently not made correctly. I do intend to redo the run, it should be easy enough to replace the way I plumbed it.

The leak is directly above a filter sock.

Since replacing the body of the valve will take a couple of days, I'm going to need some sort of stop gap measure to hold the leak in the short term. Duct tape isn't cutting it. What is the suggested temporary fix for the leak until I can get parts to redo the run?

Is pvc cement on the outside of the joint a viable stop gap?

I will need to make more water to allow some replacement for the next run, as well.

Thanks!
If the leak is above the filter sock, is it dripping into the sock? If so, leave it as is until you can replace the valve.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the leak is above the filter sock, is it dripping into the sock? If so, leave it as is until you can replace the valve.

It is dripping into the sock, yes. I just don't want the salt water to erode the joint until it starts spraying.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not I saw a video recently where a guy used a shop vac, primer and glue to reseal a leaky glued connection. If I remember right put the nozzle on pipe on opposite side of joint, primed joint turned on vac to suck primer in then repeated with glue. found it hope the link below works.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the salt creep will eventually stop the leak if it's just a slow drip. I have one between my gate valve and elbow into the sump(leaks into the sump). it only leaks when I clean the pipes. A week or so later the salt creep plugs up the leak.

It'll be fine short term, or long term. lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back