Leak test on new tank

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing a leak test for 2 days for my new Reefer 250. I’m running Vectra M2. How much speed I have to run it to test? Does it need to be able to handle full speed for extended amount of time to pass leak test?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a stress test so yes, I would run it at 100%. With any stress test you want the failure to happen now where worst case scenario is a puddle of water on the floor

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I left it run at 100% overnight and will continue throughout the day until I get my rodi set up.

I noticed a small tiny leak one of the connection close to the bulkhead last night. I wiped it off and this morning I didn’t see more leak. It fixed itself?

Also, on the joints to the reactors, I noticed it start to leak when I open the valves on the connectors wide open. But, if I adjust them properly they don’t leak. Still good amount of flow comes through the reactors though.
I wrapped the thread with pink tape (extra amount) already. I am thinking maybe no matter how much I try to seal the reactors, they are only designed to take X amount of pressure from within. Should I bother to add extra pink tape?

As of right now the way it is, no leak.

96D34422-51C7-47BE-954F-4EEEB6927C68.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reactor fittings should be normal fittings, able to handle a lot of pressure. Good thing is you will not be pushing much flow thru the reactors. The "O" ring gaskets on the tops and uni-seals may not handle full pressure. You will not be pushing much flow thru the reactors anyway, but since they will be under some pressure its good to have no leaks now.
I noticed a small tiny leak one of the connection close to the bulkhead last night. I wiped it off and this morning I didn’t see more leak. It fixed itself?
Keep an eye on it. It might be the bulk head. If the leak was small enough sometimes a particle of of solid matter can plug it. I always use silicone grease on my gaskets

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reactor fittings should be normal fittings, able to handle a lot of pressure. Good thing is you will not be pushing much flow thru the reactors. The "O" ring gaskets on the tops and uni-seals may not handle full pressure. You will not be pushing much flow thru the reactors anyway, but since they will be under some pressure its good to have no leaks now.

Keep an eye on it. It might be the bulk head. If the leak was small enough sometimes a particle of of solid matter can plug it. I always use silicone grease on my gaskets

I will keep an eye of it. It is day 3 now running test leak and first time I saw the tiny drip of water close to the bulkhead on one of three pipes. I already use extra pink tape on the thread. I don’t know what else I can do without risking of breaking the connector due to too much tape. I think since I will never run the M2 to 100% anyway, I think I should just leave it alone. What do you think?

I shut off both reactors valves right now and test the run at 100% speed without running the reactors. I want to observe for one or more days since I had the reactors running for two full days.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its only 1 drip every day it should be ok. Silt and scale build up will plug its over time.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back