LEAK! - problem solved!

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RedSeaReefer 250 has been making noise from the overflow so I've been trying to adjust the flow. When I reached back to move the know my fingers encountered water.

It seems to be leaking from where the tubing connects to the overflow or higher up (not sure yet). Any suggestions? Do I just let the water level drop and try to re-attach the pipe? Do I run in circles, scream and shout? Will I need to pull everything out?

I JUST GOT THE TANK STABILIZED (it's less than 2 years old)!

Orion1885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to panic! If it is just the tubing to your overflow, shut off the pumps, lower the water level below the overflow and reattach the tubing using proper sealants if necessary

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not panicking yet. Despite the drama in my original post. I'll try shutting off the pumps.

What type of sealant would be reef safe?

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 350 started leaking last week ,it's 3 years old
The problem was the little black o ring
I ordered new ones and they are red now and a little fatter , by all accounts the old ones have a tendency to get a little out of shape after awhile which causes the slow leaks

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 350 started leaking last week ,it's 3 years old
The problem was the little black o ring
I ordered new ones and they are red now and a little fatter , by all accounts the old ones have a tendency to get a little out of shape after awhile which causes the slow leaks
That would be the best scenario. I have a spare o ring so that would be quick and easy.

I'll pull it apart after my husband gets home so I have another pair of hands if I need them. In the meantime I braced a funnel to catch the drip and funnel it into the sump.

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out @Vincent100 was correct - the gasket was worn. I replaced it and now the problem seems to be solved.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and advice. I was worried when I first spotted the leak, it's great to have a community I can ask for help 24-7.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back