Leakage of water

ali.farzinrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
My tank has a depot of water behind it which is a part of the tank and can not be removed.
Last year one of the rocks made a crack in the back glass, I emptied the tank, glued it and now it's full of water but there's a leakage there which makes water to leak in the depot, I used a lot of aquarium glue but still leaking.
Any ideas for me what to do and solve the problem without emptying the tank again????

Scythanith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ali. Since the water pressure is from the inside of the glass, a patch on the outside isn't going to help all that much. You could try a glass patch with silicone on the outside but the surface would need to be dry for that and it likely wouldn't work. Keeping a tank with a main glass panel cracked is like keeping a ticking time bomb in your house. I'd really recommend you get a new tank. If you can't afford a new one, scour the internet for a used one in your area.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by depot? Do you have pictures of your tank?

He has an AIO with a crack in the back glass.

About all you could do is empty it, clean it really well and then glue a piece of glass over the crack to seal it so it goes 2 inches beyond the crack in all directions. It would have to be dry until the glue cured.
It would depend how the crack goes to see if that was even possible.
One that goes to a side seam or the bottom is probably unfixable.

With stress on the tank the crack will grow longer over time.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it’s a AIO and the crack is on the back partition I don’t see that being much of a issue as long as it’s just a small leak, every AIO I have seen has openings allowing water to flow into the back chamber in addition to the main overflow.. typically these back chambers (sumps) also have multiple dividers which will add support and probably prevent complete failure of the back partition.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the back panel of the tank or the panel separating the front display area from the rear compartments? If it's the separation panel then it may be acrylic cause all the ones I've own before were. If that's the case and you're using silicone then it's probably not going to hold for long and thus the leak. You'll need to use acrylic cement to patch the crack but this stuff needs to fully cure before it touches water. I just don't see a proper repair being done without draining and letting it sit dry for a few days for curing.

OP
OP
ali.farzinrad

ali.farzinrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys,
Thanks for your replies and recommendations and sorry for not posting any pictures
Here is a picture of the tank, the depot actually, I've stuck a 10mm glass on the crack and nearly used a complete glue on it and placed two packages of silicone stones behind it, there won't be any breaking I think but that leakage is like a stone in my shoe, it has a place to transfer the water to the basement but I want it
Pictures may not be very well but it shows the separation between two parts of tank and depot.
dry.
8d67f4dc6217e3f73071ba3263059a42.jpg
ab3e14a2dadefd5c3ae0d60a12b4bb3b.jpg

OP
OP
ali.farzinrad

ali.farzinrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys
Bad news.
The middle glass was going to break, but it didn't because of those packages I put there, but it was moved for 2cm!!![emoji27][emoji27][emoji27]
So I had to emptied the tank for half and I think I have to remove the middle glass and the depot of water.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back