Leaking Sump - I'm New and Don't Know What to do

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just filled up my new waterbox 60.2 and the sump is leaking out of the rear left corner. I have towel dried the area but the water keeps dripping. Should I empty the system? I have contacted waterbox support so hopefully I can get this remediated.

sumpleak1.jpg

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new just filled Id drain it let them make it right for you. It will delay the start of your reefing adventure but will be worth it when you can start with peace of mind
Best of luck from what I’ve read and seen Waterbox will take good care of you

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curring it off and draining the water out of the sump for tonight. Depending on how long this takes I'll drain the tank as well. I don't want to start gluing stuff since this is under warranty but I am hopeful that they will take care of it sooner than later. This sucks!!

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curring it off and draining the water out of the sump for tonight. Depending on how long this takes I'll drain the tank as well. I don't want to start gluing stuff since this is under warranty but I am hopeful that they will take care of it sooner than later. This sucks!!
I feel your pain :( no company product is 100% and being the guy or gal who has the one in 1000 issue is winning the anti lottery. I hope they get you squared away and back to starting your cycle quick.

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have water in my main display should I keep the powerhead going just to keep the water moving? I don't want to drain the whole tank tonight but am not trying to leave this thing to get stagnant.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem: Box full of water is leaking.
Solution: Remove water from box.

What's really going on here, because it's all so new and unfamiliar, is a bit of panic. Keep cool, keep your wits. Like anything else, reefing can sometimes go sideways on you. A lot of the solutions to routine problems are just as simple.

Hope Waterbox takes care of it quick for you!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have water in my main display should I keep the powerhead going just to keep the water moving? I don't want to drain the whole tank tonight but am not trying to leave this thing to get stagnant.
Yes, keep the water in the display moving.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's no critters in the tank, you don't need the flow. It won't go stagnant overnight. The powerhead won't hurt, or help anything at the moment. Water movement with no sump could cause a spill through the overflow.

Shut it all down, make sure the water level in the tank is about an inch lower than the overflow, drain the sump then deal with the rest when you know what Waterbox wants to do about it.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would still keep the tank going. Just put a power-head in and get that cycle going. Two days is two days sooner to putting fish in.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox has really great customer service and they have already put in a request at the warehouse for a replacement sump. Didn't expect it to be this quick so I am happy.
nice its good they are working so fast did they give you an idea how long it would be before you got it

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice its good they are working so fast did they give you an idea how long it would be before you got it
It turns out they don't have the sump for my 60.2 tank model at the warehouse readily available until the first week of September. However, they gave me options of how to remedy the situation. One option includes sending me the upgraded sump for the 70.2 model which is what I might do. It seems like they are trying to do whatever they can to make it right so I really appreciate their helpfulness. I give them an A for customer service and would still recommend their prouduct.

I pulled the sump out of my cabinet last night and got all the water out of it. I was looking in the corner that it was leaking from and really couldn't see any issues but when I felt around that corner I could feel a very very tiny section that must have missed getting sealed up properly. At this point, I am grateful that it was only the sump that was leaking and not the display and also the fact that it was the smallest chamber in the sump. Things could be worse!

OP
OP
ruegaroo

ruegaroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference in the measurements between the 2 sumps? Will it drastically affect you space in the cabinet?
They have the same overall footprint but the 70.2 model has more chambers. I wouldn't be losing cabinet space but I'm concerned that the plumbing wont match up so I have asked them for clarification on this.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back