Learning from Ryan Batcheller's (of BRS) 6-month Cycle

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this could be a lesson learned
For BRS consumers to Not Use their dry rock...

filled with phosphate

takes forever to achieve any sort of biological stability

im Surprised more People don’t realize the more you fail, the more products and fixes you buy.

Do You think BRS cares when your tank is filled with algae because they push dry rock that is
Nothing but problems. Of course not... then you buy new skimmers, new UV, new media’s, new lights, new wave makers, new miracle cures... trying to fix the problem they originally Contributed to.

Strong business mode
I don’t know Ryan but I do watch his videos and in my opinion he provides a pretty neutral assessment. He’s obviously got a vested interest in selling product but he seems to provide a pretty balanced assessment of whats good and bad about them.

Last edited:

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I am wrong........But isn't this the same method WWC uses to cycle their tanks? If so why the hate on Ryan, but yet everyone salavates over WWC.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty hard to argue they

I don’t know Ryan but I do watch his videos and in my opinion he provides a pretty neutral assessment. He’s obviously got a vested interest in selling product but he seems to provide a pretty balanced assessment of whats good and bad about them.
BRS makes little if any money on selling dry rock and salt.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I am wrong........But isn't this the same method WWC uses to cycle their tanks? If so why the hate on Ryan, but yet everyone salavates over WWC.
Americans hate success. Look at sports. People have a favorite team, and a team they hate with every fiber of their being. This is my best guess. Ryan built a company from the absolute ground up and is the most transparent person ever. But haters gotta hate I guess.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Dry Rock 1.5 yrs

Attachments

• 85D23859-61F0-4ADB-8C6E-61B63A97EF95.png
    85D23859-61F0-4ADB-8C6E-61B63A97EF95.png
    297.1 KB · Views: 88
  • A7519896-8047-4A05-A930-86EA4912A9DD.png
    A7519896-8047-4A05-A930-86EA4912A9DD.png
    207.4 KB · Views: 95

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Rock 1.5 yrs

Attachments

• 6155A7A8-C47C-4787-835B-043038CCC320.png
    6155A7A8-C47C-4787-835B-043038CCC320.png
    799.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 576453BE-AF89-440D-A76D-9755C476F026.png
    576453BE-AF89-440D-A76D-9755C476F026.png
    518.2 KB · Views: 89

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS makes little if any money on selling dry rock and salt.

I really like BRS, but I don't really agree with you on making money off Salt. Have you compared Amazon prices vs. BRS? Quite a difference from when I looked (and purchased).

OP
OP
codee

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that said I can't really say a bad thing about him. He has done more positive things for the hobby than just about anyone else. He also shows and talks about his failures which is a million times better than half of the YouTubers out there that have other people do all the work for them or they never show their tanks.
100% - I appreciate how often Ryan talks about what didn’t work (honestly, sometimes that’s the only episode you need to watch of a “series”), and that he talks straight to the camera for 20 minutes without any edits or cuts. That’s hard!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like BRS, but I don't really agree with you on making money off Salt. Have you compared Amazon prices vs. BRS? Quite a difference from when I looked (and purchased).
BRS free shipping. A bucket costs how much to ship? Amazon doesn't sale it directly, they link you to someone who does. If the bucket breaks during shipping, BRS sends you a new one at no cost. Amazon says huh, blame the shipper.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Dry Rock 1.5 yrs
True, live rock will work faster. Dry rock will work just as well, but you need more time and better patience. Every BRS tank was done using dry rock. Only two so far are not a complete success. The E170 is amazing. Full on SPS and just over a year old. They did use rock from an existing system and they say repeatedly that is the best method. BRS/WWC Hybrid method, they recommend using rock from an established system. To my knowledge Ryan has never said Dry rock is the best method. He actually talks against it on the regular.

Suspect

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
100% dry rock is an awful method. The reason why it works sometimes is because you eventually add enough “live rock” via frag plugs. Might as well just start with live rock and save time.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal opinion from someone with no expertise: How can a tank "cycle" to be prepared for fish/coral and all that, with no fish/coral and all that. I've cycled tanks with coral. Personally I think the "long cycle" is pointless and just adds frustration. If you know what to look for and how to deal with issues when they first appear it's not that big of a deal.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% dry rock is an awful method. The reason why it works sometimes is because you eventually add enough “live rock” via frag plugs. Might as well just start with live rock and save time.

My best success with dry rock is by sneaking in about 10-25% established rock with it. But you are right, dry rock can be a brutal go of it early on.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never saw this post, here's answers for first ones

yes you can cycle any reef you want with only water in it, no feed, no dosing, nothing bought just 60 days time. here's the thread of it being done and proofed.

MStevens post, one of the most important bacterial posts of this decade in fact. puts retailers in the right light, as optional.

the rule: we do not have to dose or provide anything other than time for a cycle to complete, a common cycling chart solves for time on one of its two reference axis.

The 4 month cycle is a nice way to evaluate early alternation of generations that implant on reefs and manage those before corals line all surfaces but this runs 100% independent to the ability to carry fish waste ethically, most bottle bac mixes pull that off the day you add the fish into the tank. Bottle bac doesnt permit burning of the fish, if the bac is alive, same source above.

Second question regarding the sand missing, it doesnt matter. any stack of live rock can run a reef bioload just fine with or without sand. Source for claims, the fifty page sand removal thread. we take entire systems, rip out the bed and all side filtration, set it all back up and now the rocks instantly carry all the same fish bioload.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back