Learning from Ryan Batcheller's (of BRS) 6-month Cycle

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live rock will always be the ideal choice couldnt agree more

my lfs will sell pure coralline real live rock but its rare and you can't get hundreds of pounds anymore like old days. nano reefers though can cheat and instant stock a fine aged reef with it, avoiding all dinos etc. it is ideal in every way to any dry rock bringup although some of those were guided to wow status in short time we can see too. most just got dinos et al

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy good live rock.

Stop watching videos by the guy selling dry rock.

cohen baron GIF
Dry rock has a place. Live rock is obviously the ideal choice but that's not always a realistic option for everyone. I'm glad we have options. It's incumbent on the reefer to educate themselves and understand the differences.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock has a place.

Yes, underneath the live rock.

Sorry, but a majority of people are able to afford $600 controllers and $300 lights fixtures and $350 wave pumps without flinching. The stigma that live rock is too expensive and not worth the expense needs to die. Even just 20 pounds of good rock in a 100 gallon tank goes a long way.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, underneath the live rock.

Sorry, but a majority of people are able to afford $600 controllers and $300 lights fixtures and $350 wave pumps without flinching. The stigma that live rock is too expensive and not worth the expense needs to die. Even just 20 pounds of good rock in a 100 gallon tank goes a long way.
Even partial mixing of live and dead is good, I agree. But I wouldn't be cavalier about assuming what others can afford and will do across the board. Means vary quite a bit across the hobby as well as goals. Options are always good. I went 50/50 myself and it worked out well and I come from the figi rock days.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back