Least expensive LED with sunrise/sunset option

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

Still trying to determine which light for my 75 mixed reef. I'm about 3 months for starting and lighting is a bear :(

I realize that the sunrise/sunset is a human thing and the corals don't care, but it's a feature I want.

So, with that said, what is the lowest priced light that is appropriate for a standard 75 with this feature. Using my android device to configure is a plus, too.

As of now I really like the Reefbreeder Photon V2+, just don't like the $700 price tag.

Thanks in advance.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

Still trying to determine which light for my 75 mixed reef. I'm about 3 months for starting and lighting is a bear :(

I realize that the sunrise/sunset is a human thing and the corals don't care, but it's a feature I want.

So, with that said, what is the lowest priced light that is appropriate for a standard 75 with this feature. Using my android device to configure is a plus, too.

As of now I really like the Reefbreeder Photon V2+, just don't like the $700 price tag.

Thanks in advance.
You could look at used aqua illumination lights. 2 hydras 26 or 4 primes. Will come around $600.

Current USA has their loop system, will limit what corals can go where.

Finnex offers the marine 24/7 would probably need 2 units and be limited to lps and softies.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

$540..

4 Zetlights $400

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can look at fluval. I have their led bar. 250 I believe. If you can swing it get a led/t5 hybrid. You will love those set ups.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by ‘sunrise/sunset’ you mean the ability to ramp light levels up and down based on a preset program then I would look at ReefBreeders as a lower cost option. I’ve yet to own or see a fixture that does a really good job at replicating sunrise/sunset, but some are passable. You either get observable color shifts, intensity steps or the light cuts out to soon.

OP
OP
N

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all of your suggestions!

I'm not much of a used equipment kind of guy, however yes, the price can be attractive.

I'll research the links provided and see if multiples of any one would provide what I'm looking for.

I do like the Reefbreeder and may have to bit the bullet, still have time to research, get suggestions from the great members here to make my decision.

Please keep the alternative suggestions coming.

Thanks again!!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all of your suggestions!

I'm not much of a used equipment kind of guy, however yes, the price can be attractive.

I'll research the links provided and see if multiples of any one would provide what I'm looking for.

I do like the Reefbreeder and may have to bit the bullet, still have time to research, get suggestions from the great members here to make my decision.

Please keep the alternative suggestions coming.

Thanks again!!
The reefbreeders will truly allow you to grow any coral. I think it would be wise to get those. Other cheaper options will limit what types of coral you can have unless you add a ton of them, which is more expensive in the long run than the reefbreeders.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nanobox Reef LED-T5 retro that is controlled by Bluefish. If what you mean by sunrise/sunset is that it slowly ramps from night to mid-day peak and back to night, then that is exactly what it does (LEDs only). You don't have to use that feature, but I do.

Nanobox Reef also sells stand alone LEDs (that's his real business) but might not be least expensive.

Last edited:

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxspect RazorX. With the icv6 module.

Will grow anything you wish, full spectrum, and I personally can’t see any color shift ramping up or down.

That being said, I have a 3 hour ramp up and down. The more you compress the ramp up and down times on any light, the bigger the chance of seeing color shifts.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back