Least Favorite Part of Reefing?

What is your least favorite part of reefing?

• Total voters

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see what everyone hates the most!

There are certainly parts of this hobby that are less than glamorous, and honestly infuriating at times. Pests are 100% the bane of my least favorite part of this hobby. I 100% completely redid my rock work and sand to deal with an aiptasia and vermatid infestation. The good news is there are no longer vermatids, bad news is I reintroduced aiptasia. Also dealing with large cell Amphidinium dinos that are the bane of my existence.

What about you?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that the more you spend, the easier life is. Once you get dosing pumps and an apex, life is a whole lot easier.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I selected both coral loss and fish disease...I’ve had problems with both. I do not want to revisit fish disease, as it wiped out my entire first round of fish. I was an idiot and let it happen. Can’t do that again.
Coral losses just hurt. We all can agree that there is nothing worse in this hobby than watching your favorite coral erupt into brown jelly, helpless to do anything about it.
So far I’ve been lucky with hitchhikers. Some aptasia and vermetids, but they were gotten rid of quickly (my aptasia just disappeared...never showed back up for the months it’s been).

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see what everyone hates the most!

There are certainly parts of this hobby that are less than glamorous, and honestly infuriating at times. Pests are 100% the bane of my least favorite part of this hobby. I 100% completely redid my rock work and sand to deal with an aiptasia and vermatid infestation. The good news is there are no longer vermatids, bad news is I reintroduced aiptasia. Also dealing with large cell Amphidinium dinos that are the bane of my existence.

What about you?
Definitely ich!! I'm on my 3rd dang go 'round with it! Seems like no matter how hard I try, somehow it gets in! GRRRR! And water changes/maintenance is a PITA at times!

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I,m almost 12 mths in, I hate N03 and P04. My own fault, I created an imbalance more than 6mth ago, N03 100+ P04 0.04.
Only just getting them back in line, but hey, learned a ton.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyday I have to add water not a big deal but every gallon needs Alkalinity 4 ml a day going up . Figuring out what I have to do to keep everything stable. Then every two weeks I have to clean the skimmer , change charcoal in reactor , clean algae turf scubber screens . Once a week I have to pull out my spunge and clean it. Add calcium 2 times a week reef plus 2 times a week trace once a week . Once a month test alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, phosphates. Keep a eye on my plugs ,my turbos like knocking them off the rocks. And feed fish everyday feed corals 2 times a week. Keep my ro system up . Have to order a new DI filter every 9 weeks new charcoal and sediment filter and RO filter every 6 months . Just writing this down makes me tired. But I keep on keeping on . The reward is worth it. I come home from work feed my fish first thing and sit in front of my tank for 10 15 min. To get ready for the rest of my day. There is nothing like it!!!

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyday I have to add water not a big deal but every gallon needs Alkalinity 4 ml a day going up . Figuring out what I have to do to keep everything stable. Then every two weeks I have to clean the skimmer , change charcoal in reactor , clean algae turf scubber screens . Once a week I have to pull out my spunge and clean it. Add calcium 2 times a week reef plus 2 times a week trace once a week . Once a month test alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, phosphates. Keep a eye on my plugs ,my turbos like knocking them off the rocks. And feed fish everyday feed corals 2 times a week. Keep my ro system up . Have to order a new DI filter every 9 weeks new charcoal and sediment filter and RO filter every 6 months . Just writing this down makes me tired. But I keep on keeping on . The reward is worth it. I come home from work feed my fish first thing and sit in front of my tank for 10 15 min. To get ready for the rest of my day. There is nothing like it!!!
That's reefing, but would you be without...?..........Definitely not

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maintenance. If I was rich, I'd pay someone else to do it...while I supervised of course. :D

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's reefing, but would you be without...?..........Definitely not
I have had aquariums for 50 years. Always had a 29 gallon fresh water with a red trailed shark In it. Now its 125 gallon reef tank. And you ate right just couldn't do with out.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back