Leather coral pest?

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this leather yesterday and dipped it (don’t know what dip, guy at Lfs gave it to me. Smells like Pine-Sol) before I put it in the tank. Today I noticed a few little things sticking out of the coral, that looked out of place. I decided there was no way those were supposed to be there, so I dipped it again and then pulled the things out. They’re hard little white tube things, sharply pointed at both ends. They came out of the corals flesh easily and left a little hole where I pulled them from. I pulled three. Can anyone tell me what I’ve got here? Sorry if the pictures aren’t great, hopefully my detailed description helps. ;)
FF5B77D3-E93A-470B-A086-1EAD0E7CD349.jpeg
AB6247BD-06CE-462E-9ADA-A1C2CC365A73.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Don’t dip leather - peroxide vath
Looks like detritus worms

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may have pulled some sclerites out of it, lol. They’re the little calcareous slivers that corals like this use to give themselves structure. I’ve never seen any worms like that in a leather, if they were on the outside of it, I’d think they were just little detritivore worms, but since you dug them out of the coral’s flesh and because you said they’re hard/sharp, it makes me think you pulled out some sclerites (don’t know that I’ve ever heard of someone doing that).

OP
OP
Uzidaisies

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may have pulled some sclerites out of it, lol. They’re the little calcareous slivers that corals like this use to give themselves structure. I’ve never seen any worms like that in a leather, if they were on the outside of it, I’d think they were just little detritivore worms, but since you dug them out of the coral’s flesh and because you said they’re hard/sharp, it makes me think you pulled out some sclerites (don’t know that I’ve ever heard of someone doing that).
Oh man, that probably set him back. I think you're right. I didn't even know about sclerites, so thanks. He's opening up again so I'm sure he'll tough it out. Each one was a hard, pointed sliver that seemed to be stuck in the surface about one third, to half way.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back