Leave for a week… come back to this… 92* water

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant ocean should be mixed for hours and hours. Be careful. Don’t act too fast. Slow down. Think it over. Impulse can hurt more than help.
Umm no it doesnt ? I mve done 80 gallon water changes on my 135 by just dumling it right in. Even the bucket says mix and pour

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody suggesting a dedicated tank chiller has obviously never had one of those break either.

If a salt mix isn't ready to go after a few hours of mixing with generous aeration it never will be. If initial cloudiness is such a big issue for you then stick to multiple part salt mixes. There is no scientific validity to mixing for a few days vs hours.

My tanks hit 85F during the summer, but beyond that Euyphilia really starts to be unhappy. They are deeper water corals and dont like temp spikes. I really hope everything recovers and the OP gets back on track ASAP.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start the grill, tip it over.... let the house burn down.

Get a big fat check from Jake from State Farm

Dance Dancing GIF by State Farm

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang that sucks to hear. I just found that this week with my sons freshwater tank. Although, and I could be wrong, with the exception of the some of the SPS, it looks like a large portion should pull through, doesn’t look like the euphyllias are melting, just retracted (unless I’m looking wrong), and everything else (Xenia’s, mushrooms, etc) have shrunk but may still recover. Definitely hoping stuff pulls through

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to me last summer and tank got to 93. Lost almost every acro and a few LPS but all softies and majority of LPS were unfazed and no fish losses.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this happen to me about a month ago. I moved my tank into my office and its the hottest room in the house. Tank water was 84°f for a few days before I even noticed. All my corals looked terrible, should've taken pictures. Luckily the only thing I lost was a Hollywood stunner chalice. I dropped frozen water bottles into the tank to help bring the temp down which helped. Now I blow a fan into that room all day. Everything will bounce back, my wife and I were literally just looking into the tank before I saw this post and she was amazed at the recovery.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This time of the year and especially when going on vacation, I disconnect the heater. I close all shades and monitor temperature via Apex.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. This is why I have a sitter come over every day … he was a cat only sitter until I got the tank.. now a cat/tank sitter.. it’s expensive but totally worth my piece of mind. He’s seasoned reefer too which is amazing.

dude I hope things keep recovering.. looks like things are on the mend. could have been a lot worse. Whew.

OP
OP
S

subzero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea could have been worse - I’m glad it’s only this bad. Most will recover but all SPS are now skeletons. I monitored the house temp via next app.. except past couple days so I think the AC stopped working last 1-2 days. Anyhow glad tanks recovering slowly

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back