Leaving space between the Aquascape and Back Glass: Why should you?

How much space do you leave between the aquascape and back glass?

• None

Votes: 63 8.7%
  • Very little

Votes: 106 14.6%
  • Couple inches

Votes: 396 54.6%
  • Wide Open

Votes: 140 19.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 2.8%

• Total voters

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave enough room on all sides to at least get a python sand vac in there.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about the space or room between the aquascape and the back glass. I'm a big fan of having the space for several reasons like flow, frag holding, swimming space etc. But I'm wondering how you feel about it. Some will stack rock against the back glass for stability or to have more room for the front of the tank and I get that too. Let's talk about it.

1. Do you leave space between the aquascape and back glass? If so how much space?

2. Why should you or why should you not leave space?

image via @snafte
image.jpeg
This is a hard one for me. I kept space in my current tank, but then added rock against the glass in sections with magnets (floating islands). So, there’s still space, but rock against the back wall in sections for high light corals.

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a bare bottom reef, it's the perfect place for a low wave maker.I have mine come on at night so in the morning I have a neatly swept pool of poop waiting to be vacuumed into my filter sock. I don't let it run much in the day. I don't wanna see the turds.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left space -- only a couple inches, and there is one spot where a small part of the rock does touch the back of the tank, but I've got just enough space to get a small siphon back there or an algae scraper if I ever want. I have my wave maker blowing across the back -- creates nice flow. I also like that there's enough room for fish and critters to go back there if they want.

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you leave space between the aquascape and back glass? If so how much space?

A couple of inches or so

FWIW for me---I like the added space to allow for flow, swimming/hiding spaces for the fishes, and algae scraping clearance for back walls

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first tank. Most of the threads I read said to leave room for flow so that's what I did. There are a couple points where the rock touches but the rest has about 1 to 2 inches that are away from the back. I have seen tanks with rock walls up the back and they look amazing. My tank, which is an AIO, has the filter portion run the length of the back. I would like a rock wall to hide this. Now I'm thinking I might put some of those floating rocks on the wall to help hide it.

OG Reef Tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always leave space, although some rock can touch at mid level in my tanks, this allows good flow in the back, lots of hiding spaces and swim spaces for the fish, and you can clean most of the back panel.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not leave space. My tank, at 18 inches wide, isn’t wide enough to maintain sufficient visible sand bed plus space in back for the way I scape. That said, I do have a power head back there for some flow

littlefishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've attached cut slices of rock and smaller chunks to the back wall of my Nuvo10 with superglue. On the floor is a flat live rock with attached corals.
It looks more like what I see snorkling near islands, and I want to see my tsb perching on/in the various holes and rock appendages instead of hiding in the back. I only have sand dollar porites and lepto for sps,and they seem to do fine with the flow, and there is no cleaning of the back glass.

20211108_195816.jpg

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some arch work leaning against my back glass. It provides for a nice tunnel and hiding area for my dottyback and still allows some flow through. I haven't noticed any excessive build-up near the back

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've attached cut slices of rock and smaller chunks to the back wall of my Nuvo10 with superglue. On the floor is a flat live rock with attached corals.
It looks more like what I see snorkling near islands, and I want to see my tsb perching on/in the various holes and rock appendages instead of hiding in the back. I only have sand dollar porites and lepto for sps,and they seem to do fine with the flow, and there is no cleaning of the back glass.

20211108_195816.jpg
Great work. This is the best looking back wall I have seen in terms of how natural it looks.

In the next couple months I'm going down from my 120 to a 90 and won't have the extra depth for the wall I have now, so I will be doing something similar except with magnets instead of glue so I can remove it from time to time.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
leaving a gap in my aquascape from the back glass gives me room to reposition any rocks or even attach corals. gives my fish room to swim or hide as well.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on my tank where back glass it isn't painted. I left enough room to get an magnet cleaner to the sand. On my reefer xl where the back glass is painted, I will add rock that backs up to the glass.

Shadowfax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more wall of rocks in my new setup. now I have arches and less bulky rock the usually to allow water and fish circulation

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do stack against the back but with lots of swimming space: tunnels and caves that the fish use as shelter, sleeping berths and escape routes. I feel like the tunnels allow for some circulation that the bigger fish augment by swimming through them

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my large FOWLR, which is 24 inches back to front, I have a good 4-6 inches of space between my rock work and the back glass. Lots of water flow back there too, which helps keep the detritus in suspension (and makes maintenance easier as well). But in my reef, which is only 15 inches front to back, it's impossible to have more than an inch or two of space.

Wish I had more, because God knows how much detritus has settled back there over the years, but it is what it is.

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to leave enough space that I can pass a magnet cleaner, flipper, or whatever, to clean the glass. Otherwise it seems to be the spot that algae goes wild and I can't get to it because it's buried behind rock.

Or that's where a fish would go to die and I can't get to it.

With the back open you have that access, plus I think better overall flow.

GradientHurdle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about the space or room between the aquascape and the back glass. I'm a big fan of having the space for several reasons like flow, frag holding, swimming space etc. But I'm wondering how you feel about it. Some will stack rock against the back glass for stability or to have more room for the front of the tank and I get that too. Let's talk about it.

image via @snafte
image.jpeg
My tank is very old and is open for viewing only to the front. I built the aqua scape up to the back, while allowing for ample tunnels and space for the fish and other creatures to move freely and help get good flow to those sheltered areas.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back