Leaving space between the Aquascape and Back Glass: Why should you?

How much space do you leave between the aquascape and back glass?

• None

Votes: 63 8.7%
  • Very little

Votes: 106 14.6%
  • Couple inches

Votes: 396 54.6%
  • Wide Open

Votes: 140 19.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 2.8%

• Total voters

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave enough space on all sides to gravel vac. Oddly enough it's the front that's starting to push the limit with several coral additions to the sand.

Carlos Borges

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "wide open"...
There was a time way back where the rockwall was the "right way" to scape a reef...
Nowdays many people, me included...are building their scapes with a more minimalistic and clean aproach...
To me, thats puts function and beauty together...
easy to clean and easy on the eyes...

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave enough room for me to get my magnet through the sides and front. If the back has some closer or touching, I do not care much as I cannot do a magnet through anyway. This is on my large system. My smaller ones, I am a bit more careful to leave space to clean the back glass.

mzurla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main structure is centered front to back pretty much. A couple smaller islands along the front and side.

Attachments

• 1F969E20-4B2F-443D-8420-4991DA35405B.jpeg
    1F969E20-4B2F-443D-8420-4991DA35405B.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 50
  • FA57A892-F7D0-4289-9FD1-87057AA3464E.jpeg
    FA57A892-F7D0-4289-9FD1-87057AA3464E.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 68

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this isn't the right way, but whatever. I rest some of the rock against the back glass, but there are spaces where I can fit my fist. Flow and fish can get all the way around the back in many areas which is the most important part. The only regret to this particular design choice is in my new tank, the BTA likes to hide away back there where it can't be seen for days and sometimes even weeks on end.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 3" from my rocks to the back glass. I have always tried to keep that in all of my tanks throughout the years. I personally like to keep some space because of cleaning and in case any corals manage to find their way back there. Now my clownfish have decided to start laying their eggs on the back side if the arch.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef is in the middle of the tank away from glass with plenty of caves for fish to hide they all have their spaces and room to swim i have a 180 gal and you can see one side from the living room and the other side in the dining room so I have the reef in the middle. Has lots of flow. Sometimes what is pleasing to our eyes is not what is important to what is living inside.they need caves for safety and room to swim and flow to keep their house clean

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you leave space between the aquascape and back glass? If so how much space?
Yes, a few inches.

2. Why should you leave space?

For me, it’s to aid in cleaning the back glass panel of algae.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about the space or room between the aquascape and the back glass. I'm a big fan of having the space for several reasons like flow, frag holding, swimming space etc. But I'm wondering how you feel about it. Some will stack rock against the back glass for stability or to have more room for the front of the tank and I get that too. Let's talk about it.

1. Do you leave space between the aquascape and back glass? If so how much space?

2. Why should you or why should you not leave space?

image via @snafte
image.jpeg
Definitely a few inches!!! With newer more attractive ways to aquascape, I really like to keep the water flow equally moving around the entire display. Great question!

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about the space or room between the aquascape and the back glass. I'm a big fan of having the space for several reasons like flow, frag holding, swimming space etc. But I'm wondering how you feel about it. Some will stack rock against the back glass for stability or to have more room for the front of the tank and I get that too. Let's talk about it.

2. Why should you or why should you not leave space?

image via @snafte
image.jpeg
I voted 2” and do it to aid in water movement. Except for nano tanks, where room is at a premium.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've left around 5'' of space in the back. I love watching my fish go all around the rocks! Got a monti cap and some pavona growing on the back of my rock scape just to fill it in a little bit.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
voted other due to the fact that the space varies. Rocks in the back (palys, rhodactis, gsp & hairy mushrooms) need to be away from other rocks, so the bottoms of the rocks are closer than I'd planned to the back wall. But other areas, there is way more room, like 5 inches or more. Most of the rocks I can easily manage a scrapper, even the mr. clean ones, and my sand rake. The sides have a ton of room. And the front.

Having a tank with depth (25") makes a major difference. The old 125 was only 18" deep with 2 overflows (5") and that didn't leave much room for good scaping in a big part of the tank. Almost had no choice but to be too close to the overflows.

20211109_231851.jpg
20211109_231921.jpg
20211107_191046.jpg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a big deal to have some rock against the rear on the glass but I wouldn't want a wall of it. I have the odd piece with barnacle shells on top leaning against the back glass for stability of the shells.
Obviously even with the shells against the glass there is still plenty of the shells that don't touch the glass so it's still 90% open at the back. BTW barnacle shells are great decoration with many small fish using them for refuge and spawning.
20210918_175339.jpg
20211108_182517.jpg

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least two inches for the fish to swim and inverts to clean back glass and my access if needed. I always put one power head flowing across the lower back to keep the back sand bed clean and provide flow in that area. I think it's better for the tank as a whole.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm simply not a fan of the wall of rock look. Used to be very common... but I didn't like it then, and still don't. Just not my thing.

Now. Space around the 'back' wall... which wall is the back on a Peninsula? The real 'back' doesn't have much space, is hard to reach, and between the plumbing and the brown gorgonian I have back there, it's pretty full.

I like open space... so do my fish. Used to be, high volume of rock to assist in bio filtration. There are other ways to get that done today.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need that space between the back glass and rock for coral bits broken off to fall back behind there to look totally amazing while my main pieces on the rock work look so so.

Also it is the perfect spot for that prized anemone to show off in all its glory.

And who wouldn't want a place for your favorite fish to duck and cover every time you look into this display!

Space back there should be mandatory!

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on which tank you ask me about. My 29 gallon biocube has a least a handwidth. For inspection or retrieval of lost items or live stock. Also to help waterflow in the tank, and to help with cleaning of sand/limiting detritus traps. In my 525g, it's 4 side viewable i need at least a handwidth for cleaning and to fit a mighty magnet F8 or 9 through everywhere.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back