Leaving space between the Aquascape and Back Glass: Why should you?

How much space do you leave between the aquascape and back glass?

• None

Votes: 63 8.7%
  • Very little

Votes: 106 14.6%
  • Couple inches

Votes: 396 54.6%
  • Wide Open

Votes: 140 19.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 2.8%

• Total voters

jakepapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did a rock wall, with minimal open space on the back. There are lots of large cracks between the rocks and back, but it limited; the many rocks rest against it and other rocks are attached to them with silicone and/or epoxy. I was always advised to keep it open, but I felt I could manage it, and my back glass is blacked out to begin with. I point my return flow back behind the wall to keep some flow, though I wish it was more honestly. Having the rock wall presumably just eats up the flow I put towards it.
When I look along the back from the side I can barely see back there, but it always looks super clean, and fish and serpent stars will always be hanging out back there. It makes for a real SOB to get fish out with such a structure though. I had to get a big hippo tang out, it was kind of a nightmare. When I made the wall I made it in 1ft wide sections such that I could remove as necessary, but since then they have merged as rocks got added and rearranged.
You can see the rock wall from all sides in the pics below, it is almost 6ft long, and ranges in width from 8" to 1" or 2" towards the top. I didn't quite capture the crack behind the wall, but it is minimal and stay pretty dark.
1633966500547986185451441369925.jpg
16339666082078920882074007554845.jpg
16339666333237839302164470749400.jpg

joseph scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think flow and removing dead spots are both good reasons to keep some space. But I also just prefer it aesthetically. I like seeing the fish swim throughout the entire rock structure. I also like having the other side to look at sometimes. Or at least down from the side.
I this adds so much to how the fish are able to swim, I even mounted a large mirror behind my tank. Now I’m able to see action taking place back there. And no the fish don’t appear to be able to see there reflections, could be the 8” space between the tank and the mirror.

clarimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that depends on your scape.
I have always had the great rock wall. I have a minimalist scape with 3-4" between the rock and the back wall. This allows swimming room for fish and makes detrius removal easier on my bare bottom.
However as the tank grows in corals are encroaching on the back glass. It wont be long before several attatch to the back.
The back is difficult to access now but powerheads keep the area free of detrius for now.
1.5 years aho and now.
20200523_193935.jpg

20211102_170312.jpg
wow that's beautiful

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can take care of your glass. Detritus will build up in algae if you just let it grow where you can't syphon or remove it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back