LED focused lenses on a T5 acrylic shield?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a waste of time and nonesensical thought that came to mind, but just curious what any lighting smart kids would say about this idea. I want my T5's to sit much higher above the tank. Less concerned about a ton of par, just controlling light spill without using a hood while raising the light up.

Question for you:

Say i acrylic welded 100's of these next to each other on an acrylic sheet the size of my T5 bulbs, and then put that modified sheet under my ATI fixture (replace the current acrylic shield with one covered with these)....
Screenshot_20210531-215730_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Would that focus any significant amount of T5 light downwards at 15 degrees so as to create less spill when mounted higher? Allow me to raise the light up higher?

Just a thought...

Thanks!!

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see your pic.

A large fresnel lens would work better.

One thing that baffles me about reef based T5s is how illogically their reflectors are designed. Office based fluorescent troffers have large channels where the bulbs sit deeper in them which is more efficient at focusing light downward emitted by the tubes. Reef based T5 fixtures however are typically much shallower allowing more light to spill horizontally and get wasted.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back