LED light for a 40 gallon breeder (crocea clam to be under it soon)

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some of you may have read my thread on my search for a small clam. Now I am wanting your thoughts of what works for you in lighting. I need my new clam to thrive when it arrives. I would like the lighting to look good also. And be fully adjustable. What works for you and how long have you had it?

Thanks,
Shelley

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you looking to spend? Does fully adjustable mean you like leds?

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you looking to spend? Does fully adjustable mean you like leds?

I prefer LEDs. I want to be able to adjust the lighting to mimic morning, afternoon, evening. And have it programmed so I do not have to keep adjusting it. I would prefer them to hang or stretch across the top of the tank. Other than that I am clueless. I would of course like them to be free ;Joyful. But am open to consider most under $800. But since I am clueless that could change.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let's see I'll just tell you what I have experience with..

Ai primes are nice lights that are very easy to control via the app

Reefbreeders v2+ colors look slightly better than the primes but are a pain to set up (but you only have to set it up once)

Reefi extremes are the nicest lights I've seen in person (but I've never owned one)

Sb reef black boxes are a nice cheaper option and I believe they can be controlled like you want (my old sb couldn't be controlled but I think that has changed).

My opinion is either save a few bucks with the Reefbreeders or go all out with the reefi extreme (really an awesome light)

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefbreeders v2+ colors look slightly better than the primes but are a pain to set up (but you only have to set it up once)

Reefi extremes are the nicest lights I've seen in person (but I've never owned one)

Sb reef black boxes are a nice cheaper option and I believe they can be controlled like you want (my old sb couldn't be controlled but I think that has changed).

My opinion is either save a few bucks with the Reefbreeders or go all out with the reefi extreme (really an awesome light)

I really appreciate this. And will look into the 2 you mentioned last. I really want them to look good. I have recently been thinking that some day I may only have one smaller tank. It should really "shine".

Shelley

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ordered the Reefi Duo Extreme LEDs. The clam arrived today and the light arrives tomorrow. Thanks again. There are so many great reviews on this light! ;Happy

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Reefi Duo Extreme LEDs. The clam arrived today and the light arrives tomorrow. Thanks again. There are so many great reviews on this light! ;Happy
Awesome! Ya it's a lesser known brand but they're so nice! I've met the owner Daniel at a frag swap and seen the lights on some local reefers tanks. They're very impressive. Post some pics when your all set up!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and be sure to do some research on acclimation, don't want to go too bright right away with the leds or you'll burn corals

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and be sure to do some research on acclimation, don't want to go too bright right away with the leds or you'll burn corals

I sure will post some photos. Though I am really bad at it. Just started a new Thread for information on putting in an overflow box. This tank was initially only to be a quarantine. Now I am just having a good time with it. So now I want to do an overflow box and sump. Not sure if I will move everything into a temporary home, with all rock and filtration and use the existing tank. Or buy a new tank and move everything after it is all drilled and set up. I will be sure to not burn my little guys. :) I have some nice stylophoras.

Thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back