LED lighting for my tank- massively confused.

HWEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I seem to have a tank that's causing a clash of opinions on what size light to get.

My tank dimensions are: 4 L x 20 W x 23.8” H and i have a fairly flat scape; 4 rocks in a row, kept basic for coral real estate and basically no shadowing.

I keep LPS and softies- nothing particularly rare or exceptionally hard. I had an AI prime a while ago and it suddenly died, i carried it over from my evo. Now using a Nicrew 100W which i just can't get on with due to my working life.

Is ONE 16HD enough to cover the tank with the par i'd require? Some people say yes easily, others say absolutely not you need 2 or a Hydra.

I just don't have the money for a Hydra 32. After the last 16hd died i learned the seller basically took it for a swim before he sold it to me, so i won't buy 2nd hand again.

I'm happy to keep my Nicrew as well and pop it on blues at night for a few hours when i'm home but i just need a light with scheduling as i work very long days 6 days a week.

Can someone just give me a clear, concise answer before i lose my mind!!

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I seem to have a tank that's causing a clash of opinions on what size light to get.

My tank dimensions are: 4 L x 20 W x 23.8” H and i have a fairly flat scape; 4 rocks in a row, kept basic for coral real estate and basically no shadowing.

I keep LPS and softies- nothing particularly rare or exceptionally hard. I had an AI prime a while ago and it suddenly died, i carried it over from my evo. Now using a Nicrew 100W which i just can't get on with due to my working life.

Is ONE 16HD enough to cover the tank with the par i'd require? Some people say yes easily, others say absolutely not you need 2 or a Hydra.

I just don't have the money for a Hydra 32. After the last 16hd died i learned the seller basically took it for a swim before he sold it to me, so i won't buy 2nd hand again.

I'm happy to keep my Nicrew as well and pop it on blues at night for a few hours when i'm home but i just need a light with scheduling as i work very long days 6 days a week.

Can someone just give me a clear, concise answer before i lose my mind!!
A Hydra 16 might not be enough but maybe add some T5 bars to suppliment.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 4 foot wide tank, lit by a single AI prime? No I don’t imagine you’d have usable light levels from end to end. For the lower light soft corals, two would be the minimum. A hydra wouldn’t make it any better. You need two actual sources. Not more watts at the same single source.

OP
OP
HWEP

HWEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 4 foot wide tank, lit by a single AI prime? No I don’t imagine you’d have usable light levels from end to end. For the lower light soft corals, two would be the minimum. A hydra wouldn’t make it any better. You need two actual sources. Not more watts at the same single source.
SORRY. It would help if i wrote the right dimensions. It's only got a 110l DT.

Aquarium 130Litres – approximate size L61 x W50 x H50cm (24” x 19.7” x 20” inches).

I've edited the OP too.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aquarium 130Litres – approximate size L61 x W50 x H50cm (24” x 19.7” x 20” inches).

I've edited the OP too.
One AI Prime would be enough. The PAR would be pretty low around the perimeter, but you’d be just fine for a 20” square under the light.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've edited the OP too.
1 hydra 16 would be enough but I'll add at least 2 bars of t5 because the PAR on the edges will be quite low.

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people say T5 do they just mean the long bulb? Is it only fluorescent or can it be LED as well?

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 hydra 16 would be enough but I'll add at least 2 bars of t5 because the PAR on the edges will be quite low.
Hydra has a 24 inch max spread, effective spread of 18 inches. 2 t5 will get about 25 par at the bottom

Last edited by a moderator:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single prime will be fine for LPS and sofies. If you get the hard arm, you could get the reefbrite hybrid fixture with it to help with the edges but otherwise it will be fine.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people say T5 do they just mean the long bulb? Is it only fluorescent or can it be LED as well?

T5 is the small flourescent tubes. Sometimes can get led tubes to put in the fixtures, but when people refer to t5 they are talking about the flourescent.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is mass confusion due to the original post looking like the dimension were 4 foot long. I was thinking the same thing, how could anyone get away with 1 small led fixture.

I'm not a fan of the small single point LED source unless there are at least 2 units. If you have to have the tech then you're on the right track but if not I'd be looking at a cheaper panel led or those smartfarm leds people seem to be having success with off amazon. Specially if cost is a factor and you're keeping lower light need coral.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited by a moderator:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back