• Total voters

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm new to this and this is my first post so here we go!

I have been looking into lighting for my 90g tank that I will be getting. I have narrowed it down to something called black boxes from ebay lol or a Photon 32-v2.

Now my main question is. My tank will be 48" long will a 32" light system work well on it? That will be 8" of each side it will have to hit or do I get a 48" light? I don't like the fact that the light floods out of the sides. On the right side I have a TV and the left I have a parrot. I dont want ether to be flooded with extra lights but I want my corals to get all the light they need. Will a 32" be enough or will it not look good/work well with the corals?

What are your thoughts?

Thank You

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm new to this and this is my first post so here we go!

I have been looking into lighting for my 90g tank that I will be getting. I have narrowed it down to something called black boxes from ebay lol or a Photon 32-v2.

Now my main question is. My tank will be 48" long will a 32" light system work well on it? That will be 8" of each side it will have to hit or do I get a 48" light? I don't like the fact that the light floods out of the sides. On the right side I have a TV and the left I have a parrot. I dont want ether to be flooded with extra lights but I want my corals to get all the light they need. Will a 32" be enough or will it not look good/work well with the corals?

What are your thoughts?

Thank You

Not sure about the lights you mentioned but I run 2 Kessil A360 tuna blues and love them. They spread nicely over my 4’ 90 Gal.
What kind of parrot?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the fixture. I have an AquaticLife XS-UV Reef 34" on my 90 gallon and it is fine coverage, not great, but fine - it's not like I am going to put corals in the bottom corners anyway, lol. It would work well on a shorter (shorter height, not length) tank. I am generalizing here, but the GOOD LED fixtures (like the photon or the aquatic life) use cree LEDs which are naturally around 140° spread; however, the manufacturers go and put lenses on them (some times 45° or 90°) so the coverage actually lowers (but the intensity improves slightly).

So, if I were to replace the 34", I would either use unlensed blackbox (16", I have four on my 220 and it's perfect) or use a longer fixture (48" if I had to, but 42ish would probably be fine if they exist, lol)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is you'll be fine with the 32" light especially if you're concerned about light spill. You can always put the lower light requiring corals on the end. I can't comment on the specific lights you're considering as I have no experience with either.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I had the same concerns when deciding on a new light for my 90 a couple of months ago. Ended up getting a SB Reeflight 45" Ultra. Plenty of power. Complete coverage of the tank length and width. Spent weeks looking and researching. Hope this helps. Cheers!

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the lights you mentioned but I run 2 Kessil A360 tuna blues and love them. They spread nicely over my 4’ 90 Gal.
What kind of parrot?

Thanks and I have a blue indian rink neck :)

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the fixture. I have an AquaticLife XS-UV Reef 34" on my 90 gallon and it is fine coverage, not great, but fine - it's not like I am going to put corals in the bottom corners anyway, lol. It would work well on a shorter (shorter height, not length) tank. I am generalizing here, but the GOOD LED fixtures (like the photon or the aquatic life) use cree LEDs which are naturally around 140° spread; however, the manufacturers go and put lenses on them (some times 45° or 90°) so the coverage actually lowers (but the intensity improves slightly).

So, if I were to replace the 34", I would either use unlensed blackbox (16", I have four on my 220 and it's perfect) or use a longer fixture (48" if I had to, but 42ish would probably be fine if they exist, lol)

Thanks but is 32" or 48" I just wonder how much light will shine out of the sides.... I just dont know lol

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I had the same concerns when deciding on a new light for my 90 a couple of months ago. Ended up getting a SB Reeflight 45" Ultra. Plenty of power. Complete coverage of the tank length and width. Spent weeks looking and researching. Hope this helps. Cheers!

It does not lol... Im still suck with 32" or 48" haha You lights are nice! but to much $ for me

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I neglected to say one important thing...welcome to R2R.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True,

The lights are 48” but the the light itself is 43.5” so that’s better .

I might be going with the 48 bc the 32” is really 31.5

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by a local fish store that because im just starting out I should buy a cheap $200 LED vs spending $589 on a nicer set. My question to you is, would you just buy the better set so you dont through out $200 in a year?

Afish70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank up for just over a year and had been running a 6-bulb T5 fixture and i just purchased the Photon V2 48" for my 90. I wished i would have bought it when i started. Yes its a bunch of cash but you do not have to worry about changing bulbs and you do not have to worry about it dying on you. The V2 has a 2 year warranty on it and Logan is a great guy to deal with.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank up for just over a year and had been running a 6-bulb T5 fixture and i just purchased the Photon V2 48" for my 90. I wished i would have bought it when i started. Yes its a bunch of cash but you do not have to worry about changing bulbs and you do not have to worry about it dying on you. The V2 has a 2 year warranty on it and Logan is a great guy to deal with.

Logan is great, I bought them around 4pm lol

Afish70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will not be disappointed. I just received mine last night and i cannot wait to see what it looks like when i get home and all weekend long.

Back