Led options for a 46 bow front?

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm planning a new tank build of a 46 gallon bow front I got for free. I currently run a couple Chinese black boxes over a 75 breeder and am looking for something with a little more controllability for my next system. I can't really afford top of the line but don't want to settle like I am on my current system. Just looking for some ideas to refine my search. Amazon is a nlurr after the first dozen pages or so.

rynosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s lots really. Depends on what you want to grow and budget and all and what features you’re after. Photon v2’s have a good reputation and don’t break the bank. Kessil A360’s could work, AI Hydras or Primes are options as well. How much do you think you’d want to spend?

OP
OP
BigRedReefer MT

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s lots really. Depends on what you want to grow and budget and all and what features you’re after. Photon v2’s have a good reputation and don’t break the bank. Kessil A360’s could work, AI Hydras or Primes are options as well. How much do you think you’d want to spend?
I currently have a mixed reef that's mostly lps and sps (montipora). I would probably keep that theme in the new tank, with maybe a zoa garden in the bottom reaches and some acros.
The photon 2's from reef breeders definitely looked very appealing to me. Sleek and pretty well priced, but I haven't found much info for them in reviews outside the reef breeders website.
AI, kessil, and ecotech products definitely look great, except the price tags and the ecotech reef link controller sounds like it's a mess. AI or kessil with an apex sounds great but it's more than I have to spend. The orphek lights sound amazing, but again that's more than I can afford at this point. Current USA gets such mixed reviews that without someone who has used these lights to answer some questions I don't feel like it's the appropriate choice.

I was hoping others would help lead me to some less known names that I could search through and get a feel for.

rynosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a mixed reef that's mostly lps and sps (montipora). I would probably keep that theme in the new tank, with maybe a zoa garden in the bottom reaches and some acros.
The photon 2's from reef breeders definitely looked very appealing to me. Sleek and pretty well priced, but I haven't found much info for them in reviews outside the reef breeders website.
AI, kessil, and ecotech products definitely look great, except the price tags and the ecotech reef link controller sounds like it's a mess. AI or kessil with an apex sounds great but it's more than I have to spend. The orphek lights sound amazing, but again that's more than I can afford at this point. Current USA gets such mixed reviews that without someone who has used these lights to answer some questions I don't feel like it's the appropriate choice.

I was hoping others would help lead me to some less known names that I could search through and get a feel for.
Yeah they can all be pretty pricey. I was able to find some pretty informative threads when doing a search for photon v2s on this and another forum. Might be worth checking out. Also keep in mind that none of the lights you mentioned require an apex to work, and the ecotech's don't require the reef link to work either. Orphek's on the other hand do require their gateway, and they're pretty pricey to begin with. Hope that helps!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back