LED options for a 60 x 30 x 24 tank

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know there is Radion, AI, Kessil and Sky what else is there out there, are there some without fans?

Thanks In advance

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your max and preferred budget? How do you plan on hanging or mounting the light? Any features you'd prefer?

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
ATI has a new LED, looks like apple made it.. 2 of these will do the trick,,, only 200 more than the xr30, so its not going to totaly break your pocket..

1660540008399.png

1660539985723.png

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Euro Braced tank, it will be fish only for the beginning until the coral prices comeback down to realty.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't know you will ever do corals due to pricing. You could start with say 2 light bars. Enough for fish and maybe some zoas or something. If down the road...prices get into your ballpark. You can add more bars to get lighting par to whatever level you need for what you pick out.

If you know you are going to get lots of coral say sps. You can try out orphek cube lights. One on each side of brace.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral prices are affordable where I live, we have a good number of people who sell and not ship, it is a bit of a drive, about 1 hour one way, but sometimes it is worth it. Fish prices are insane, hopefully flights become a normal thing again and we can get back to air shipment for fish. I kinda toy of the idea of just filling the tank with damsels. I passed on the Sky light sale, my new tank has been in the garage for over 3 years, I basically have everything I need except the ghost overflow for it and the plumbing. I have two Kessil 360X it would be easy to just add one more until I make up my mind of when and what I am going to do.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral prices are affordable where I live, we have a good number of people who sell and not ship, it is a bit of a drive, about 1 hour one way, but sometimes it is worth it. Fish prices are insane, hopefully flights become a normal thing again and we can get back to air shipment for fish. I kinda toy of the idea of just filling the tank with damsels. I passed on the Sky light sale, my new tank has been in the garage for over 3 years, I basically have everything I need except the ghost overflow for it and the plumbing. I have two Kessil 360X it would be easy to just add one more until I make up my mind of when and what I am going to do.
Add 2 ap9x and keep the 360s

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently made the switch from MH to Led.
I didn’t want to drop thousands of dollars on led’s and just went black box. I have a 210g, 6’ tank.
I tried a few different black box brands and founds Viparspectra had the best overall spectrum out of all the ones I tried.
Smattfarm white channels very yellow overall and drowned out the blue channels, mars aqua spectrum was similar to Viparspectra but a little more yellow.
Viparspectra had more of a 20k look compared to the other I tried. Coming from the days that MH had the stronghold on the hobby, I prefer spectrum of 14k or more, I lean more towards the 20k look.
I am going to add a 470nm bar to help balance evening out to my liking.
I am giving led a try but if it doesn’t work out, I still have my MH fixtures and will go back if need be.
Par meter is a must have, leds very strong and if you just go by eye, you will likely burn the **** out of corals.
My blue channel at 100%, gives me 100 par towards the middle and 85 towards the edges, on the sand bed. This is on a 29” deep tank.
This is with 120* lenses.
Most if not all black box leds come with 90* lens and the 120* helps with the light spread.
I purchased mine from AliExpress
I am not seeing any hot spots.

I am still not 100% sold on led, besides the fact that they really make the corals pop under all blue channels. Coral growth is still to be seen, just haven’t had them long enough to tell.
I have seen people post that MH is still the king for coral growth but since I have not had led’s long, I can’t really say for myself. Time will tell.
I will just see how it goes and go from there.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sometimes we need to be talk down from making a bad decision, starting with 3 360X and two light bars should work really good. I am going to get the controller and see if I can get a spectrum that I like.

If I had a 36 x 30 x20 tank I would go with a single MH 250 with two light bars, but for now I have the 6 foot tank. electricity is very expensive here, my last 3 months have been 500 a month with minimal lighting.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sometimes we need to be talk down from making a bad decision, starting with 3 360X and two light bars should work really good. I am going to get the controller and see if I can get a spectrum that I like.

If I had a 36 x 30 x20 tank I would go with a single MH 250 with two light bars, but for now I have the 6 foot tank. electricity is very expensive here, my last 3 months have been 500 a month with minimal lighting.
I went from black box to Kessel and it cemented the idea that I'll never use black box again. They look awful in comparison. I'd stick with the setup you're using now.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back