LED T5 Direct Wire Lamps —- Any appropriate for the hobby?

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for LEDs that fit into T5 sockets. Example: https://www.beeslighting.com/S28692?keyword={bkeyword}&creative={bcreative}&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyJOBBhDCARIsAJG2h5dy_YBKZwwNP4zkdjoheYDoaZ_fi9UsZvFWlPX2sgkYLLiHtRog174aAgjLEALw_wcB

These exist in various industries, but I haven't found them for reefing. I have this:

61" Hybrid T5HO 4x80W Fixture with LED Mounting System - White - Aquatic Life​

And I would like an mid-term exit strategy for when T5 bulbs for the hobby become uncommon or too expensive.

Thoughts?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for LEDs that fit into T5 sockets. Example: https://www.beeslighting.com/S28692?keyword={bkeyword}&creative={bcreative}&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyJOBBhDCARIsAJG2h5dy_YBKZwwNP4zkdjoheYDoaZ_fi9UsZvFWlPX2sgkYLLiHtRog174aAgjLEALw_wcB

These exist in various industries, but I haven't found them for reefing. I have this:

61" Hybrid T5HO 4x80W Fixture with LED Mounting System - White - Aquatic Life​

And I would like an mid-term exit strategy for when T5 bulbs for the hobby become uncommon or too expensive.

Thoughts?
Just as an opinion it looks like very few reef centric led t5's were made w/ few if any surviving today.
Much less any in the err odd 60" size.

Just as odd T8 60" led replacements for normal lighting are easier to find than t5's in that size.

Snowman82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like those would be a great idea to make though. there are tons of direct led replacement T5s just not specific to us. we did switched all ours at our work to led retros but did have to switch a lot of ballast out as they had to be instant start ballast I believe to light them correctly without killing them in a week. they were a major improvement over our standard fluorescent T5's

OP
OP
DiZASTiX

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an opinion it looks like very few reef centric led t5's were made w/ few if any surviving today.
Much less any in the err odd 60" size.

Just as odd T8 60" led replacements for normal lighting are easier to find than t5's in that size.

I feel like those would be a great idea to make though. there are tons of direct led replacement T5s just not specific to us. we did switched all ours at our work to led retros but did have to switch a lot of ballast out as they had to be instant start ballast I believe to light them correctly without killing them in a week. they were a major improvement over our standard fluorescent T5's

Perhaps the combination of both of your remarks is that we sort of hack apart a ReefBrite or something even appropriate LED strips, and sort of build a thing that has T5 mount points on either side. As I think this through, at this point you may as well just use the T5 fixture as a mount. Before, it had T5 sockets. Now, it's basically a piece of metal or plastic used to hold ReefBrites, albeit presented in an aesthetically pleasing manner.

I just .. I bought the T5 fixture because of the BRSTV remarks about how T5-LED hybrid is exceptional, but then these things sort of got left behind in a storage unit, still awaiting transport from the coast to coast. This fixture was never used either. It's still in the original box. And now, I'm learning that T5s are about to become extinct (for the hobby). That's a tough one to swallow.

Snowman82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope not...there is still a viable use for T5.....and I just bought a used Giesemann halide/t5 combo. Better stock up on bulbs then I guess haha

but a direct retrofit bulb would be awesome. Someone needs to do one. It’s also a way to recycle. Save the landfills of old T5 fixtures

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope not...there is still a viable use for T5.....and I just bought a used Giesemann halide/t5 combo. Better stock up on bulbs then I guess haha

but a direct retrofit bulb would be awesome. Someone needs to do one. It’s also a way to recycle. Save the landfills of old T5 fixtures

T5s will never leave this hobby.

Snowman82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Arcadia T5HO led....I think they are what your wanting and what I was talking about

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Arcadia T5HO led....I think they are what your wanting and what I was talking about
Yea but the jury is out on if 1) They are strong enough and
2) If the line will last.
See how many our out of stock.

Kind of hindered by the amount of wattage vs the amount of heat.
Time will tell.

Thanks for refreshing my memory on the company.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do the Arcadia bulbs... Back away slowly, lol. I had nothing but issues with several “bulbs” ranging from end contact problems to them flat out failing after only a few months of use. Total J U N K.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back