LED Tape light (4wire) how to connect to 2 wire romex?

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 wire romex feeding a LED power supply and LED WIFI controller with connection in a junction box. This romex lead is also controlled by a dimming wifi light switch (leviton). Romex continues through the structure and is stubbed out at locations in the structure where this LED tape light will be installed

The LED tape light has four wires, multiple colors, and is designed to dim, fade to other colors, strobe, etc.

Stripping the four wire, to splice to the two wire, please explain: how to splice four wires to two? Which wires of four wire tape go to the two wire romex? Are the four wires separated colors/dimming control/ + / - ? How do i keep functioning all colors/dimming etc when going from four to two wire?

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Romex is used for high power electricity

Not for LEDs

OP
OP
gdemos

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Romex comes off the panel and feeds the
controller ; then i am plugging the LED power supply into an adjacent outlet which is controlled by a wall switch. therefore the only draw on the romex is the power supply and controller of the low voltage LED and a wall switch to control it. Yes designed to carry higher voltage but how is it actually carrying high voltage in my case?

OP
OP
gdemos

gdemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially the romex is only a conduit wire to carry from the controller & power supply to locations where 4 wire led will connect

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LED tape light has four wires, multiple colors, and is designed to dim, fade to other colors, strobe, etc.
Stripping the four wire, to splice to the two wire, please explain: how to splice four wires to two? Which wires of four wire tape go to the two wire romex? Are the four wires separated colors/dimming control/ + / - ? How do i keep functioning all colors/dimming etc when going from four to two wire?

you don't not that way..
Strips are usually RGB (1,2,3 wire) with a positive ground (4th wire)
https://www.tc420.net/connecting-12v-LED-strips-to-the-TC420.php

best if you sketch it out.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back