LED VS Metal Halide Lighting Experiment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gregr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all-
We'd like to invite you to take a look at an experiment we're doing with the 800g display tank at the store. Half of the tank is lit by metal halides and half by LED's. We've created this webpage to explain the set up and chronicle the experiment- take a look!

OP
OP
G

gregr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry not for sale. That thing is so awesome...

reefingsaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would have been way cool if it had like almost identical rocks on each side with the same corals at almost the same placement not saying it isn't tight now.

Onedesign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great that someone can do this experiment. I know how its going to turn out but nice to show this side by side comparison and that LEDs are fine.

OP
OP
G

gregr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys mean successful in that the corals will do as well under the LED's as they do under metal halides?
That's what I'm hoping because I'm about to get LED's for my home tank.

chestnud

Slice & Dice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys mean successful in that the corals will do as well under the LED's as they do under metal halides?

Yes. We have 3 all LED lit reef tanks at the store (sunbrite, ecotech, and AI) All replaced Halides and we have been happy with all of them. I have a set of radions over a tank at home and all corals LPS or SPS are happy and very bright.

SethTheWineGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My experience with LED's is only with AI's. Yes, they will grow corals and with good color but be prepared to buy more units than they claim you will need. These lights will be no means cover a 2'x2' area in a 24" deep tank. (By cover I mean light sufficient to grow corals)

chestnud

Slice & Dice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AIs do not cover as much as the Radions. The radions cover as well 4" away from the water (will cover a 2x2 cube @ 10") as an AI 12" above the tank (AI will cover 2' in width but not in depth.)

My experience with LED's is only with AI's. Yes, they will grow corals and with good color but be prepared to buy more units than they claim you will need. These lights will be no means cover a 2'x2' area in a 24" deep tank. (By cover I mean light sufficient to grow corals)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back