LEDs, T5s and MHs for zoas discussion. What are your thoughts?

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the name of your fixture 3mm3?

250w Halide. Hamilton Cayman sun. 2 luxcore ballasts and 1 Hamilton HQI ballast. Just added ATI true actinic 03 t5 addon

Bulbs are Phoenix 14k DE

IMG_3651.JPG

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250w Halide. Hamilton Cayman sun. 2 luxcore ballasts and 1 Hamilton HQI ballast. Just added ATI true actinic 03 t5 addon

Bulbs are Phoenix 14k DE

IMG_3651.JPG
Very nice! I bet your zoas are loving it!
I've had the very best out of halides back in the day and hope in the future to have enough room here and se up another system with halides.
Those True Actinic bulbs are a great complement to the set up!
Explosion of colors and growth is right! No more umbrella shaped zoas anymore!
That Euphyllia must be happy too!
Thanks for sharing!
Grandis.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol Grandis you didn't "hurt" me. My issue is that you state opinion and anecdotal evidence as facts. Then in the same post state that others saying the same about LED are wrong. How can that be?

To add, my tank has a lot of zoas. Some grow better than others. I want what is best for my corals, and would consider different lights. But isn't light just light? I have a good LED light with reefbreeders. They use quality diodes in a range of wavelengths. Since this is a discussion of all three, what actually makes one better than another? What documentation can you provide for me to read? I love learning about this hobby, and lights are clearly a debated topic, but I see so many amazing LED only tanks I can't help but think that light is just light and all light fixtures for reefs can grow corals equally. Do you have hard evidence to the contrary? I'd love to see it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish people would come here to discuss the facts they see in their tanks bringing pictures and so on...and also talk about those videos I just posted instead having my sentences pulled apart and out of context to put me against the wall.
I would love to see you guys talking about what you think about the LED/MH/T5 facts that Mr. Tullio spoke about.
Love you all anyways! Even with those LEDs over your tanks! LOL!
Grandis.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have time now to read the whole thread. But I scanned a few pages. You ask for pictures and I'll admit I'm not happy enough with my tank right now for pics. Lots of pest algae I'm dealing with. However, first person in the thread that said they used LED and shared pictures you commented something to the point of they'd be even better with MH/T5. Can't have much of a discussion or desire to share if you're just going to be told your LED lit tank would be better with different lights. Though it seems you'll just be ignoring my thoughts so why do I bother lol.

Edit to add I'll watch that video later, for sure. Phones about dead and I don't have an hour to spare on a YouTube video.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries...
I'm glad and hope that you're going to set an example for others to follow, watching the video.
If everyone that posted here at least would read the thread, or watch the videos, many of my replies wouldn't be here.
Let's direct our energy to discuss about what Mr. Tullio said from now on, shall we?
I hope your problem with algae to be solved soon.
Halide guys, T5 guys, LEDs guys... come in and post. No harsh words... Let's enjoy.
Peace!
Grandis.

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol Grandis you didn't "hurt" me. My issue is that you state opinion and anecdotal evidence as facts. Then in the same post state that others saying the same about LED are wrong. How can that be?

To add, my tank has a lot of zoas. Some grow better than others. I want what is best for my corals, and would consider different lights. But isn't light just light? I have a good LED light with reefbreeders. They use quality diodes in a range of wavelengths. Since this is a discussion of all three, what actually makes one better than another? What documentation can you provide for me to read? I love learning about this hobby, and lights are clearly a debated topic, but I see so many amazing LED only tanks I can't help but think that light is just light and all light fixtures for reefs can grow corals equally. Do you have hard evidence to the contrary? I'd love to see it.
This is a perfect example of miscommunication due to the language barrier. English is not his first language.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a perfect example of miscommunication due to the language barrier. English is not his first language.
I get all that man. I'm just tired of trying to explain million times the fragments from my posts that people are bringing up.
Please read the whole thread and you'll understand...
Does anyone wanna talk about the videos yet?
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Tullio Dell Aquila has a much better education that I do. That's for sure!!!
I've learned lots with him and many of my thoughts were explained in that first video published by BRS. I'm so glad!
Hopefully our smarter friends here would chime in to talk about the facts he exposed. I believe we all need to agree with them.
I'm glad he isn't ashamed to tell us those facts!
Yes, he speaks and probably writes much better English than I do. That's for sure! ;)
Sorry for my mistakes, DB!!! And I thank God for automated grammar checker!! LOL! ;Woot
I would like to learn more about the utilization of the UV and IR by corals.
Grandis.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. Tullio Dell Aquila has a much better education that I do. That's for sure!!!
I've learned lots with him and many of my thoughts were explained in that first video published by BRS. I'm so glad!
Hopefully our smarter friends here would chime in to talk about the facts he exposed. I believe we all need to agree with them.
I'm glad he isn't ashamed to tell us those facts!
Yes, he speaks and probably writes much better English than I do. That's for sure! ;)
Sorry for my mistakes, DB!!! And I thank God for automated grammar checker!! LOL! ;Woot
I would like to learn more about the utilization of the UV and IR by corals.
Grandis.
IR is heat.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi salty, he says in the video there is "infra red" and "thermal infra red".
Grandis.
The difference in NM on the electromagnetic spectrum is minimal.

He and I have mutual friends. I hope to hang with him at macna this year.

Current research on corals suggests no useful Nm past 670 is useful. Save to stay warm of course.
I’m curious as to what he’s referencing.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference in NM on the electromagnetic spectrum is minimal.

He and I have mutual friends. I hope to hang with him at macna this year.

Current research on corals suggests no useful Nm past 670 is useful. Save to stay warm of course.
I’m curious as to what he’s referencing.
Thanks so much!
I'm trying to arrange my schedule to go MACNA this year and will contact you and some of the others here so we can meet there, if I can afford and be able to go!!
Thanks, man!
Grandis.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back