LEDs, T5s and MHs for zoas discussion. What are your thoughts?

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I watched the facts of light video. It was about measuring light, far as I could tell. It didn't seem to provide any "this light fixture is better than the others" details, unless I missed something. So whats to discuss in relation to LED/T5/MH Comparisons?

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I watched the facts of light video. It was about measuring light, far as I could tell. It didn't seem to provide any "this light fixture is better than the others" details, unless I missed something. So whats to discuss in relation to LED/T5/MH Comparisons?
No, he specifically said that no light fixture is better than the other. They are just different.

One of the many pertinent gems of information mentioned in the video was that the LEDs with their optics focus light much the same way that a magnifying glass focuses the light of the sun and can burn your skin. T5 and metal halide don't have that problem, but with LEDs, it must be considered and adjusted for.

The reefbrites that Tullio sells does not have optics but relies on reflectors in much the same way T5 and metal halides do and thus do NOT burn corals the way that cheap polycarbonate optics can do.

Also he mentioned that LEDs can also degrade over time, while in T5 you can just replace the bulbs if that happens, LEDs you have to buy new fixtures completely. Although if you are savvy with the soldering gun, you can replace LEDs just the same.

There's much much more information but these are some of the ones that I remember. The reason I remember is that I had LED only systems, some corals would be fine grow just fine, and others were more sensitive and would close or not have PE. It didn't matter that I put them on acclimation mode, or no matter how high i raised the fixtures. It wasn't until I added a single T5 bulb that everything opened up as they should.

BRS Par maps also show a really bad light distribution. There are hot spots with LEDs where an inch to the left or right, there is a significant drop in Par. I read that G4 Radions have addressed that with their new optics and with the addition of the diffuser helps as well. Personally, for me, I might as well get T5s since the diffuser also results in a drop in PAR and efficiency.

The next fixture I'm getting when my current lights crap out is going to be T5.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the use of these frosted panels from Lowes would disperse the LED light. Place it over the tank, could work to stop fish jumping out, and evaporation, as well as disperse light.

074507996524.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back