Legacy tanks: Is your aquascaping inspired from something in the past?

Is your aquascaping inspired from something in the past?

• Yes, my aquascaping is inspired by what I have seen.

Votes: 77 23.5%
  • Yes, my aquascaping is inspired by people that have been in my life.

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Somewhat, I take general inspiration from all sources.

Votes: 101 30.9%
  • No, I find inspiration in the aquascaping material.

Votes: 73 22.3%
  • No, I just put rocks in the tank.

Votes: 55 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 18 5.5%

• Total voters

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been "stuck on stupid" futzing with different rock arrangements for so dang long. I'm considering sh*tcanning the Moani dry rocks I have and going with something like Real Reef.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was inspired by Serpadesigns to use a mix of rock and foam. It’s a pale imitation but oh well:
5114E235-4B69-4501-816E-8E69715F0EED.jpeg

Bob E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I base mine off what I have seen. by breaking up the rock and gluing them back together with swims through's, with hiding spots in mind

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you recall the specific product in case someone would like to attempt it>?
Sure! here it is and a DIY article about it. However I really suggest watching SerpaDesigns videos of it.
F49D8595-73A3-4302-865F-B924DE980250.jpeg

Alfie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got into the hobby it was 2/3 and 1/3 piles. my current scape I went for 1/3 1/3 1/3 mounds up to half depth of the tank. I always have the rock down the centre so It leaves plenty of room for the fish to stretch their fins as well as hidey spots behind the viewing pane, typical to a peninsula. Thing is after a few years the scape is just the foundations and the corals create the shape, but i do prefer a natural look personally. None of my rock is stuck together with glue or epoxy either. Im sure a lot wont like the full look but it works for me.

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 09-55-58 Alfie on Instagram With windows behind and infront of the ta...png

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just did an aquascape, it's cycling now in a tub. I was inspired by a mix of the BRS negative scape and habitat videos and also highway overpasses.

1683640274493.png

Attachments

• aquascape Medium.jpeg
    aquascape Medium.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 36

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned my scape using the golden ratio and the rule of thirds
IMG_20230409_213344.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came from my 50 years of SCUBA diving with hundreds of dives in New York water which is why I have encrusted bottles, chains and cans as part of my aquascape. :D

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whether it is a rock structure, a person, or just something we saw in the past, many of us have created aquascapes based on something or someone in the past. Sometimes we try to honor a person and other times we try to duplicate a look, feel, or design when we are aquascaping. While many times we aquascape our tanks based on what we have, there are times that our tanks have interesting back stories about how the aquascaping was inspired and created. Please tell us about your experience with aquascaping and if you have ever used inspiration from the past to create the look of your tank.

Pro Tip: When looking for inspiration, scroll through the R2R Reef of the Month archives and scroll through the R2R build tank threads. There are sooo many pictures and you may even find other members that have the same tank as the one that you have, and you can find the right look for you.

JayBros_ROTMFeb2022.jpeg

Photo by @JayBro; R2R February 2022 Reef of the Month

We have featured multiple tanks in our Reef of the Month spotlights that have special inspiration. These tanks include @JayBro’s 400-gallon dream tank and @jdpiii3’s sunlit reef.

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
1683558646263.png
"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities"

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whether it is a rock structure, a person, or just something we saw in the past, many of us have created aquascapes based on something or someone in the past. Sometimes we try to honor a person and other times we try to duplicate a look, feel, or design when we are aquascaping. While many times we aquascape our tanks based on what we have, there are times that our tanks have interesting back stories about how the aquascaping was inspired and created. Please tell us about your experience with aquascaping and if you have ever used inspiration from the past to create the look of your tank.

Pro Tip: When looking for inspiration, scroll through the R2R Reef of the Month archives and scroll through the R2R build tank threads. There are sooo many pictures and you may even find other members that have the same tank as the one that you have, and you can find the right look for you.

JayBros_ROTMFeb2022.jpeg

Photo by @JayBro; R2R February 2022 Reef of the Month

We have featured multiple tanks in our Reef of the Month spotlights that have special inspiration. These tanks include @JayBro’s 400-gallon dream tank and @jdpiii3’s sunlit reef.

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
1683558646263.png
"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities"

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my reef now. It’s still not complete. What happened was I had an infestation of hydroids and I was battling Dino’s. What I did was bleach all of my rocks, vacuumed all of my sand, did a 50%water change and cleaned everything. I purchased marcorocks and started over. I still vacuum the sand regularly ( I got the quick vac eihiem vaccuum) and it’s great! I didn’t replace all of my old rocks but I kept them. I used some of the smaller pieces though. I got inspired by brs by cementing rocks together and creating a unique aqua scape. It’s a 120 gallon, 2x2x4.

Attachments

• 70596583557__D4892D11-CC06-47B3-9592-59E75AD629E3.MOV
    8.3 MB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 21

seamonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my reef now. It’s still not complete. What happened was I had an infestation of hydroids and I was battling Dino’s. What I did was bleach all of my rocks, vacuumed all of my sand, did a 50%water change and cleaned everything. I purchased marcorocks and started over. I still vacuum the sand regularly ( I got the quick vac eihiem vaccuum) and it’s great! I didn’t replace all of my old rocks but I kept them. I used some of the smaller pieces though. I got inspired by brs by cementing rocks together and creating a unique aqua scape. It’s a 120 gallon, 2x2x4.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came from my 50 years of SCUBA diving with hundreds of dives in New York water which is why I have encrusted bottles, chains and cans as part of my aquascape. :D

Cool! where are the chains? did you use plastic or coated metal?

is that traffic cone on the right side?

Krux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I have been most heavily influenced by the reef projects of Weast, who is local to me and I get to talk to at the LFS from time to time. I still have not had him over to look at my current tank as I know it will drive him nuts, though I believe I owe him an invitation over after nearly two decades of reefing and diving together!

His methodology of aesthetics first, and then figuring out how to make the actual tank and equipment disappear while providing a pristine habitat is second to none.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back