• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Legendary Corals Petroglyphs Zoanthid Grow Out Contest!

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Time for another grow out contest!
This is for a 1-polyp frag of LC's Petroglyphs Zoanthid's. The objective is to grow it to as many polyps as possible over a 6 month period. If your coral dies, your are out! That said, zoas are pretty beginner-friendly and they are a great choice for pretty much any reefer!

fc5c7d_98a9340eab474bb4ad5f646bc8bb2f07_mv2_d_3379_2257_s_2.jpg

The cost of the frag is $20. Shipping is $30 for CA residents, $50 for all others.
Sign-ups will last 2-3 weeks or until all of the spots are filled. We can accommodate at least 30 people for this one.

Shipping will begin after everyone has signed up, most likely late February or early March. You must take a picture of your coral within 3 days of receiving it and post in in this thread. Everybody will have 6 months from the time that they get the coral to grow it out. Each month you must post an updated picture in this thread to keep track of progress. One photo per calendar month is required to stay in the contest. So one photo in March, April, May, June, July, August. The photo can be posted at any time during the month but towards the end of the month is preferred. The initial photo can count as the photo for March, but you can also post a second one if you'd like. The person with the most open polyps at the end of the contest will receive a zoa pack from @Legendary Corals.

To sign up, please fill out this short form. At the end of the form there is a link to purchase the coral from Legendary Corals' website. You can also add other corals to your order. Please do not sign up if you don't intend to participate to the best of your ability for the full 6 months. The more people who stick with this, the more fun it is.

Edit: sign-ups are now closed. We have 17 participants!

While I do ask for your email in the form, that is mostly just to keep track of who has paid and gotten their coral. I anticipate nearly all communication about this contest will be made through reef2reef.

I'm still working out some small details and rules so if anybody has any suggestions or questions feel free to ask. (I'll be on a plane for the next few hours but I will get back to you asap)

I'm very excited for this contest, it should be a good time for everyone even the newer reefers and by the time the corals start to ship the weather should be a little better. In the mean time feel free to check out some of LC's other corals to add on to your shipment at https://www.legendary-corals.com

Last edited:

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'd love to sign up for the grow out contest. Will you be selling this frag in CFM ? Dont want to pay for shipping :)

OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I just saw this today. Maybe others missed it too?

I’ve never done one of these growout contests and my 60g reef is about as low tech as they come, but it sounds interesting.
Maybe I should post on some other subforums, I guess the vendor forums don't always get much traffic.
Zoas are perfect for a low tech reef and it would be interesting to see how your coral does compared to some of the more "high tech" setups. :)

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Love these palys, and they’re bulletproof!!
One of the most hardy znp’s in my tank..
All you cats in the growout will be super happy
7F35A9BF-720C-4FB9-8139-64CE6943942A.jpeg

Legendary Corals

Vendor Extraordinair
View Badges
Reaction score
I just saw this today. Maybe others missed it too?

I’ve never done one of these growout contests and my 60g reef is about as low tech as they come, but it sounds interesting.
Petroglyphs are very hardy and rewarding to care for, they should do fine in a low tech tank if you can keep basic softies. :)

I'd love to sign up for the grow out contest. Will you be selling this frag in CFM ? Dont want to pay for shipping :)
We could, but I believe everyone would need the same starting day for the grow out.

@Legendary Corals will you combine shipping for multiple users in same area? Can you add items from your site to same order?
We can accommodate multiple users. Just be sure to put it in the notes of your order! And yes, items from the site can be purchased along with the grow out. But they won't be shipped out until we start the grow out in 2 weeks.

OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Quick update: sign-ups are going to close on February 25th. We are aiming to have all the frags ship the week of the 26th so that eveeyonecan start on the same page.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So...what kind of frag pack does the winner get? I probably won’t win, but it’s like playing the lottery...gotta have something to dream about. [emoji3]
I will likely sign up in a couple weeks...

Legendary Corals

Vendor Extraordinair
View Badges
Reaction score
So...what kind of frag pack does the winner get? I probably won’t win, but it’s like playing the lottery...gotta have something to dream about. [emoji3]
I will likely sign up in a couple weeks...
It will be a zoa pack of our choice of around $200 worth. Can guarantee that it'll be great. :)

Here's a pack that we've made in the past

sounds fun. Can I join @Legendary Corals ? :):)
Always my man.

Which do you prefer?

• A few LARGE, not as colorful less expensive, coral colonies filling your tank

Votes: 92 38.3%
  • A lot of TINY, but very colorful more expensive, frags covering the rock

Votes: 104 43.3%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 44 18.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Your Reef