Lemon peel wont eat

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all so i've been QT'ing a Emperor angel and lemon peel angel for about 2 weeks now there in copper currently at about 2.5 ppm checked with hanna copper tester and using copper power. The Emperor is doing great eating anything I throw in the tank like a monster but I have yet to see the lemon peel eat. The lemon peel came in very fat and seems to be losing weight a little. Been trying to feed SF bay angel blend, rods herb blend, formula one carnivore blend, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp. The lemon peel doesn't even look interested at all sometimes will even swim around and not even go near the food. I've tried soaking in garlic no luck. I did fresh water dip this fish when it first came in because it seemed to have flukes and I was correct found a few after the dip. I am not currently treating the flukes because I wanted to do copper first incase velvet or ich suddenly popped up I wanted to be ahead of it. Any advice would be great.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all so i've been QT'ing a Emperor angel and lemon peel angel for about 2 weeks now there in copper currently at about 2.5 ppm checked with hanna copper tester and using copper power. The Emperor is doing great eating anything I throw in the tank like a monster but I have yet to see the lemon peel eat. The lemon peel came in very fat and seems to be losing weight a little. Been trying to feed SF bay angel blend, rods herb blend, formula one carnivore blend, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp. The lemon peel doesn't even look interested at all sometimes will even swim around and not even go near the food. I've tried soaking in garlic no luck. I did fresh water dip this fish when it first came in because it seemed to have flukes and I was correct found a few after the dip. I am not currently treating the flukes because I wanted to do copper first incase velvet or ich suddenly popped up I wanted to be ahead of it. Any advice would be great.
Lemon peel is very challenging and finicky. While you can get them to eat, its a matter of getting them started. Often they are enticed by live blackworms which is worth a shot

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemon peel is very challenging and finicky. While you can get them to eat, its a matter of getting them started. Often they are enticed by live blackworms which is worth a shot
I have not been able to find these anywhere near me is there somewhere I can order them?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have not been able to find these anywhere near me is there somewhere I can order them?
Generally I can get them at LFS
Perhaps an internet search ?

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally I can get them at LFS
Perhaps an internet search ?
Yeah I took time and called every LFS around me and alot of them said they cant make profit off of them because of shipping cost. I also was told that copper was the reason its not eating and that ich is present in every drop of water no matter what. AND that velvet was nearly impossible to get in an aquarium tank so I am wasting my time. He compared it to me going to the hospital for a headache and getting treated with Chemo. YIKES

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah I took time and called every LFS around me and alot of them said they cant make profit off of them because of shipping cost. I also was told that copper was the reason its not eating and that ich is present in every drop of water no matter what. AND that velvet was nearly impossible to get in an aquarium tank so I am wasting my time. He compared it to me going to the hospital for a headache and getting treated with Chemo. YIKES
Glad you go to a different LFS. Ich is Not in the water and velvet can be bought in by fish or coral and ich often appears due to stressors such as poor water quality, chilling (temperature drop) amongst others. Copper and Prazi can affect diet but at low levels.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test the logic of this: you added copper after you put the fish in the tank, but the lemon peel wasn’t eating before then? That tends to rule copper out as the issue.
Lemon peels can be very difficult. I agree tubifex are good to try. Have you tried live mussels on the half shell?
Jay

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test the logic of this: you added copper after you put the fish in the tank, but the lemon peel wasn’t eating before then? That tends to rule copper out as the issue.
Lemon peels can be very difficult. I agree tubifex are good to try. Have you tried live mussels on the half shell?
Jay
I have not tried the mussels. And yes on the ruling out copper its what i was thinking in my head just didnt wanna argue with the guy.

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 I think im going to lose the lemon peel he doesnt look so good today. Side thought do you think this fish maybe came from the Philippine's I read they commonly use the gas method for catching fish there?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 I think im going to lose the lemon peel he doesnt look so good today. Side thought do you think this fish maybe came from the Philippine's I read they commonly use the gas method for catching fish there?
Its hard to tell origin - only lfs or LFS supplier will know but as mentioned- very finicky and difficult to raise fish.

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to tell origin - only lfs or LFS supplier will know but as mentioned- very finicky and difficult to raise fish.
Are all dwarf angels this way? I wanted to get something yellow in the display and due to Yellow tangs being near impossible to get for a fair price currently I opted for the lemon peel.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are all dwarf angels this way? I wanted to get something yellow in the display and due to Yellow tangs being near impossible to get for a fair price currently I opted for the lemon peel.
Many are finicky and have specific diets . One with yellow that Would work is bluehead Kleini Butterfly. Stays small, pretty, friendly and eats all dry and frozen food offered. If you get aptasia, will eat them like candy
The yellow version will nip at coral - assure the bluehead as pictured below.
For the future, when purchasing a fish at LFS, ask to see it eat before purchase.

1669929581102.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. I can’t say if the fish was collected with cyanide, but I’ve had trouble getting this species to eat even when they came from areas where they use nets like the central pacific.
Jay

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many are finicky and have specific diets . One with yellow that Would work is bluehead Kleini Butterfly. Stays small, pretty, friendly and eats all dry and frozen food offered. If you get aptasia, will eat them like candy
For the future, when purchasing a fish at LFS, ask to see it eat before purchase.

1669929581102.png
Looks awesome I’ve stayed away from butterfly’s in general because I’ve heard they can be tough to get to eat aswell

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1669929581102.png

Sorry to hear. I can’t say if the fish was collected with cyanide, but I’ve had trouble getting this species to eat even when they came from areas where they use nets like the central pacific.
Jay
I’m a little upset over this been putting a lot of effort into water quality and trying to quarantine correctly and I’ve now had two dwarf angel species die to starvation. Almost feels like I’m doing something wrong which I hope not. The emperor that was in with the lemon peel is still eating everything has a tiny bit of lympho but I read that can be caused by copper ? Trying to keep my confidence up and hoping I’ve had just bad luck or the lfs just doesn’t carry good fish

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m a little upset over this been putting a lot of effort into water quality and trying to quarantine correctly and I’ve now had two dwarf angel species die to starvation. Almost feels like I’m doing something wrong which I hope not. The emperor that was in with the lemon peel is still eating everything has a tiny bit of lympho but I read that can be caused by copper ? Trying to keep my confidence up and hoping I’ve had just bad luck or the lfs just doesn’t carry good fish
hang in there. We all at one time or another endure setbacks

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a lemon peel angel and if its housed with the emperor u need to sepearte them and the lemon peel will eat. good luck .

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a lemon peel angel and if its housed with the emperor u need to sepearte them and the lemon peel will eat. good luck .
Interesting. I thought the two were fine and this thought definitely hit my mind. I watched them all the time and i didn’t see one bit of aggression but maybe I was wrong sadly I lost the lemon peel

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back