Lemon tang and yellow eye kole compatibility

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a lemon tang get along with an already established yellow eye kloe in a 72 gallon tank? I wanted to add some color and a reef safe fish. I’ve been exploring options for a while on one last fish to add. Seen the lemon on DD and would love to add one. Also would my tank be big enough? On the brief discription it states minimum tank size to be 70 gallon but on the detailed description it states that they need 180 gallon. Wasn’t sure what size they need because I’m not familiar with the lemon tang.

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should get along OK, although I think 70 gallons is definitely on the small-end for these guys so I'd use caution. Also, if you aren't aware they do change appearance considerably as they mature, also known as a Chocolate tang. Not my photo, but to give you an idea what they look like. I'd love to have one myself :)

1280px-Chocolate_tang_-_Acanthurus_pyroferus.jpg

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should get along OK, although I think 70 gallons is definitely on the small-end for these guys so I'd use caution. Also, if you aren't aware they do change appearance considerably as they mature, also known as a Chocolate tang. Not my photo, but to give you an idea what they look like. I'd love to have one myself :)

1280px-Chocolate_tang_-_Acanthurus_pyroferus.jpg
Good to know. They are pretty when they mature as well! Thanks for the reply!

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know what else is in your tank but consider some of the reef safe wrasses (for example yellow wrasse, various fairy and flashers, Melanurus if you’re ok with CuC being eaten). Some of these need sand to sleep in and others don’t. There are plenty of colorful and active fish that aren’t tangs so you won’t have to worry about aggression as much

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know what else is in your tank but consider some of the reef safe wrasses (for example yellow wrasse, various fairy and flashers, Melanurus if you’re ok with CuC being eaten). Some of these need sand to sleep in and others don’t. There are plenty of colorful and active fish that aren’t tangs so you won’t have to worry about aggression as much
Thanks for the reply. I have a lineatus and love him! Wasn’t sure what else he would be compatible with. Thought about a yellow coris wrasse but heard that they’ll eat cuc. Really want an active yellow fish to add.
Right now my stock is the lineatus, kloe, two orange spotted gobies, pair of clowns, pair of scissortail dartfish, a pesudochromis, as well as various inverts.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 70 gallon recommendation vs the 180 gallon recommendation may be size of the fish when sold vs an adult.

The two would be compatible, but not in a 72 gallon. Very neat fish though!
Well that sucks. Lol. Had no idea how limited I would be with the tank when I bought it or would’ve went much bigger. If it wasn’t so expensive I would definitely size up!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I have a lineatus and love him! Wasn’t sure what else he would be compatible with. Thought about a yellow coris wrasse but heard that they’ll eat cuc. Really want an active yellow fish to add.
Right now my stock is the lineatus, kloe, two orange spotted gobies, pair of clowns, pair of scissortail dartfish, a pesudochromis, as well as various inverts.

What kind of pseudochromis?

I have a yellow coris (chrysus) and love him. He does occasionally pick at my CUC, but not so bad that he is wiping them out constantly. It’s mostly the smaller hermits he seems to like picking off. I replenish my crew every 6 months or so.

7fc11f78df9fb2b5e57344cf086b02d0.jpg

Alternately, I have several leopard and fairy wrasses... they don’t mess with CUC. But, definitely more timid so depending on what kind of pseudo you might have troubles there.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A370884F-D755-4780-B487-A0BEDF072273.jpeg
A2AA89CC-FAA3-4376-BB98-8216BBA34240.jpeg
What kind of pseudochromis?

I have a yellow coris (chrysus) and love him. He does occasionally pick at my CUC, but not so bad that he is wiping them out constantly. It’s mostly the smaller hermits he seems to like picking off. I replenish my crew every 6 months or so.

7fc11f78df9fb2b5e57344cf086b02d0.jpg

Alternately, I have several leopard and fairy wrasses... they don’t mess with CUC. But, definitely more timid so depending on what kind of pseudo you might have troubles there.
Your coris is a beautiful fish!
Fridmani pseudo. He pretty much lives in his little cave. Not mean at all. Lol. There is a pic of my wrasse as well. As for the cuc, I’m actually most concerned with the shrimp. I have several and love them. The peppermints are a must for me because without them my tank would be overrun with aptasia.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, yea peppermints wouldn’t stand a chance. I put 6 or so in my tank for the same reason... one made it to the sump but the rest were an expensive snack for the yellow [emoji849]

I was hoping it was fridmani... they are very peaceful compared to the others.

Your lineatus is very nice, I have a female in QT myself. Should be ready to move to the display in a few days. If you enjoy the lineatus, you could probably add a couple other flasher/fairies. This thread/chart is helpful in choosing compatible fairy wrasses.

Cirrhilabrus Complexes: Inferiority Need Not Apply (1st Revision)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...Not-Apply-(1st-Revision).322326/&share_type=t

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, yea peppermints wouldn’t stand a chance. I put 6 or so in my tank for the same reason... one made it to the sump but the rest were an expensive snack for the yellow [emoji849]

I was hoping it was fridmani... they are very peaceful compared to the others.

Your lineatus is very nice, I have a female in QT myself. Should be ready to move to the display in a few days. If you enjoy the lineatus, you could probably add a couple other flasher/fairies. This thread/chart is helpful in choosing compatible fairy wrasses.

Cirrhilabrus Complexes: Inferiority Need Not Apply (1st Revision)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=1020&share_tid=322326&url=https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Cirrhilabrus-Complexes:-Inferiority-Need-Not-Apply-(1st-Revision).322326/&share_type=t
That’s what I was afraid of :( Thanks for the chart. I’ll look and see if I can find another pretty one to add who would get along with the shrimp.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how safe it is with shrimp but a long nose hawkfish might be worth considering. You Could also consider Midas and the fang blennies

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how safe it is with shrimp but a long nose hawkfish might be worth considering. You Could also consider Midas and the fang blennies
Thought about a golden Midas. Just exploring other options because a few of the fish in my aquarium are about the same size/ shape... Gobies and the pseudochromis. I also Thought about a flame hawk. But I’m concerned about the cuc and shrimp. Plus, I’d really like to add a yellow fish to add a pop of a different color.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow assessor? They swim upside down which is kind of cool. That’s another “cave” dweller though.

Maybe a single, larger anthias would be cool. Blotchy are yellow if you have the budget ;) Or, I’ve always wanted to try a Bimaculatus... see how I’m buying fish vicariously through you? Lol

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a lemon tang get along with an already established yellow eye kloe in a 72 gallon tank? I wanted to add some color and a reef safe fish. I’ve been exploring options for a while on one last fish to add. Seen the lemon on DD and would love to add one. Also would my tank be big enough? On the brief discription it states minimum tank size to be 70 gallon but on the detailed description it states that they need 180 gallon. Wasn’t sure what size they need because I’m not familiar with the lemon tang.

They needed a minimum of 125 gallon and I wouldn't put more than one tang in a tank that size (and the Kole is a better fit).

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow assessor? They swim upside down which is kind of cool. That’s another “cave” dweller though.

Maybe a single, larger anthias would be cool. Blotchy are yellow if you have the budget ;) Or, I’ve always wanted to try a Bimaculatus... see how I’m buying fish vicariously through you? Lol
Glad I could be of assistance. Haha. I had to look up the bimaculatus. Very pretty but states minimum tank size is 125. I’m not finding much info on the blotchy anthias. As for the assessor, like the look but I really want to get another fish that I can see. Lol. Thanks so much for the help tho.
Btw I just seen a fathead sunburst anthia on DD. It isn’t yellow but it is pretty. That may be an option. But I’ve also read that they can be shy.

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum tank size for anthias is always listed as 125 or higher on LA because most people buy anthias with the intention of having a group of them... and they will pick each other off in too small of a tank. And they will, especially the more aggressive ones like Lyretails.

But, you can usually keep one by itself in a bit smaller tank. The bimaculatus are probably one of the largest, though... around 5”.

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about a golden Midas. Just exploring other options because a few of the fish in my aquarium are about the same size/ shape... Gobies and the pseudochromis. I also Thought about a flame hawk. But I’m concerned about the cuc and shrimp. Plus, I’d really like to add a yellow fish to add a pop of a different color.
I have had my Flame hawk for 9 years and he never once went after any shrimp/crab/hermit I put in there. He is an absolute model citizen. His most showing of agression is doing a couple of fast swim bys to some new fish I have added, but after that he is totally fine.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a lemon tang, also know as a mimic tang, maybe a mimic yellow tang or a mimic lemonpeel tang. It is the juvenile form of the chocolate tang, which pictures do not do them justice. They are very docile and grow extremely slow, I kept one in a 90g for a couple of years. I really enjoyed him but the 90 was my lions tank and he just didn't fit in, so I gave him to a friend. I cant say yes or no on the possibility of the lemon and kole co-existing in a 72g, but they would have a chance. Here's a pic of mine changing.

007.jpg

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Flame hawk for 9 years and he never once went after any shrimp/crab/hermit I put in there. He is an absolute model citizen. His most showing of agression is doing a couple of fast swim bys to some new fish I have added, but after that he is totally fine.
[QUOTE

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back