Length vs width vs height…?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a really broad question… but I was wondering if we can talk more about what is the most important dimension.. other than water volume, I am curious what fish need really long tanks 8’’ + and or what fish do best in tanks with a huge total volume for example say a 48x48x24?

I am planning a new tank upgrade and really am getting a little overwhelmed when it comes to length of the tank vs the width and or even the height.. I am curious at what point will my tangs and or other future fish be utilizing the same amount of space.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your goal? What fish do you want to keep?
Tangs needs are around swimming. Not just length but swimming areas.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your goal? What fish do you want to keep?
Tangs needs are around swimming. Not just length but swimming areas.
Honestly.. my goal is to have a fish tank that I will forever be content with… one that allows me to have any fish without worrying about limiting their swimming and or size they need. I am basically creating an area in my basement into a fish tank room rather than a room with a fish tank.

my current 65 gallon tank has been fallow for a long time as I planned on moving so I never bothered re-adding fish… it also was a weird size where it wasn’t really a great size for medium fish. . Now I can have the tank of my dreams… just gotta dream it up first!

I currently am leaning towards a peninsula tank as I will be able to view and provide maintenance from all areas around the tank which would be amazing.

I don’t want a huge tank that is impossible to maintain but also want one that is something to be proud of.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly.. my goal is to have a fish tank that I will forever be content with… one that allows me to have any fish without worrying about limiting their swimming and or size they need. I am basically creating an area in my basement into a fish tank room rather than a room with a fish tank.

my current 65 gallon tank has been fallow for a long time as I planned on moving so I never bothered re-adding fish… it also was a weird size where it wasn’t really a great size for medium fish. . Now I can have the tank of my dreams… just gotta dream it up first!

I currently am leaning towards a peninsula tank as I will be able to view and provide maintenance from all areas around the tank which would be amazing.

I don’t want a huge tank that is impossible to maintain but also want one that is something to be proud of.
Whats your dream fish? Coral or fish.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everything. …… it depends On your goals.

For aquascaping the depth of the tank (not the vertical dimension which is height) gives one the most scope. A tank that is only say 12” or 18” deep does not give one the scope to play with as a tank that is 30”, 36” or 48” deep.

A shallow tank is often favored by people who grow corals - heights of 18” or 12” are often favored. The shallowness allows more area to place corals and the shallowness requires less power in your lights.

If you want to keep tanks, the longer the width the better. Tangs don’t even need that much volume. They want to swim fast and long so many are quite happy in coral grow out tanks that are 12’ long and 1.5’ deep.

Then there is aspect ratio. Having more height to a tank gives it a nice viewing dimension. The drawbacks are they are hard to get enough light. Also, access is hard unless you have arms like an orangutan (Which would come in real handy).

JoeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice I can give you is to decide what you want to keep in the tank, and then get an idea of the lighting you plan to use before choosing the tank, not the other way around.

What style lighting, and how much do you want to spend? For instance, many LED lights will cover a 24x24” footprint well for a moderately well-lit tank, so don’t try to force one to cover a 30” front-to-back coral tank or you’ll be disappointed.

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely depends on what you want to do with the tank, but that said for me it's depth hands down (front to back not water height). I like a square bottom that can be viewed from at least 3 sides. I feel the depth is the key for a setup that draws me in and makes me feel like I'm in a little slice out of real nature.

Next tank I do will be 48"x48" at a minimum.

All depends on what you are trying to do though.
Best of luck either way friend.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think cubes are good for coral or something like seahorses. The footprint is the most important. 6ft x 2ft, 8ft x 2ft, 8ft x 2.5ft. This gives room to escape disputes & room to aquascape. If a fish chases another they need a good length to get out of range. This creates the most usable space. Coral you start getting into coverage issues wider & taller than 2.5ft.

I need to up my tank here soon. My emporer is pretty feisty & it's getting hard for the other bigger fish to get out of dodge in a 6ft x 2ft. I went with a 6ftx3ftx3ft fiberglass with viewing window like this. The wife & I can move it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200308-011845_Carousell.jpg
    Screenshot_20200308-011845_Carousell.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy my thread is getting responses! Please keep them coming!

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently planning on using orphek Atlantik for my leds. I am currently running one over my current tank and am loving it… it’s gonna get expensive but … long term right???

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to consider with the aspect ratio is whether it "looks right". I for example can't stand tanks that I irrationally feel like are too high or sometimes not high enough for their width.

Best make a cardboard cutout or printout with the dimensions you are thinking of and staple that to your wall for a few days to see how it makes you feel

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to consider with the aspect ratio is whether it "looks right". I for example can't stand tanks that I irrationally feel like are too high or sometimes not high enough for their width.

Best make a cardboard cutout or printout with the dimensions you are thinking of and staple that to your wall for a few days to see how it makes you feel
I wonder what it would be like to have a tank that was more square than standard rectangular tank… I’m trying to figure out how large I actually want the tank and I am unsure if I really want it 9+ Feet long vs having it be wider to increase volume240+ gallons

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what it would be like to have a tank that was more square than standard rectangular tank… I’m trying to figure out how large I actually want the tank and I am unsure if I really want it 9+ Feet long vs having it be wider to increase volume240+ gallons
If it's a peninsula tank and you want to keep powerhead off the far end without getting crazy pumps, 60-72" is probably the limit in length.

I have a 180 peninsula, and flow in the far end sucks and I added a gyre, and I hate it.

But overall dimension wise, mine is a standard 6x2x2. If I could do it all over again, it would be 6x20"x28". My stand is 41" tall, so no matter how short the tank, in still looking into it without looking down. The height of the stand can add lots of dimension by being able to look into the tank without a downward perspective. This would allow you to get a more "standard" dimension tank and have it seem wider.

If you go wider, lighting price increases ALLOT. Be prepared for the cost upgrade that comes with the added width.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently planning on using orphek Atlantik for my leds. I am currently running one over my current tank and am loving it… it’s gonna get expensive but … long term right???
buy them now if you want to get them cheaper, they are on clearance for like $930 + another 15% off at bulkreefsupply. Orphek will soon release the icon light but the orphek atlantik is still fantastic

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ideal ("dream") tank would be a 10-foot or 12-foot tank, 20" tall, 30" deep. Probably two 24" overflow boxes on the back wall (toward each end). But I would put it on a 40-42" stand, for optimal viewing height. (I would go FOWLR, but it would be great as a reef tank as well). I actually had the length in my room for a 12-foot tank... But how to get it here?... so I went with two (2) side-by-side 5-foot, 150-gallon tanks. Best wishes on your decision--and I of course agree with the others who have said to decide on your end-goal FIRST. ;Happy

Back