Lenny blenny’s new 90L redsea nano Reefer

Lenny blenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys, I’m new to reefing and thought I might log my journey here for later reference and maybe for anyone in the future who wants to see how not to do things haha.

I’ll start off with what I’ve started with, no chiller as yet but since I’m in Australia that can wait a couple months

Tank
90 litre (20G) redsea nano.
Lighting
1x xr15 Radion with RMS mount
Wavemaker
EcoTech marine MP10
Return pump
EcoTech marine vortech s2
Skimmer
JNS fc80

So I’ve gone with a theme of EcoTech marine here, the reason why is the tank came with a Radion and I basically convinced myself that it would be easier to keep it all the same and invest in the reeflink and program it all from the one app. I know, I know it’s a very costly convenience ahaha. So far fairly happy with the quality, my main concern was avoiding a noisy tank and I can confirm this tank is deadly silent. The clock and fridge are twice as loud.

BF4AAB25-78DD-459D-B40E-248EF44A2FAD.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great start on the build thread! I look forward to seeing this tank fill and mature, but do it sloooowly! :)

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow @Peace River 's advice. Slow. Then slow down a little more. To give you an example, I cycled my rock in black tubs outdoors with cured live rock from the ocean shore for just under 4 months. I did not suffer any of the new tank syndrome symptoms in my DT often seen in new setups, short of a 3 day bacteria bloom that clouded the tank a month after set-up. Been running, knock on wood, for just 1 year now. Patience has paid dividends for me and negated any head or heartaches.
At the one year mark...
20190603_094436For-web.jpg

OP
OP
Lenny blenny

Lenny blenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow @Peace River 's advice. Slow. Then slow down a little more. To give you an example, I cycled my rock in black tubs outdoors with cured live rock from the ocean shore for just under 4 months. I did not suffer any of the new tank syndrome symptoms in my DT often seen in new setups, short of a 3 day bacteria bloom that clouded the tank a month after set-up. Been running, knock on wood, for just 1 year now. Patience has paid dividends for me and negated any head or heartaches.
At the one year mark...
Wow that tank is something else man, well done and thank you for the tip.

OP
OP
Lenny blenny

Lenny blenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the one year mark...
Did you buy those acros as colonies or are they grown out from frags?

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly frags for the acros. Some much larger with multiple fingers some just stubs. Asking me that made me look back at old photos. Amazing how some have grown like weeds while others have barely budged.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lenny blenny

Lenny blenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone can help me out, so I’ve started my fishless cycle. Added dr Tim’s one and only nitrifying bacteria and am dosing dr Tim’s ammonia daily and testing parameters. I’m having trouble understanding my readings though.

My ammonia levels are not going up despite adding over 50 drops daily, however they are also not zero (maybe I’m reading this salifert kit incorrectly). My nitrite level is just barely there and my nitrates are either 5 or 10 ppm and have been at this level for days.

If ammonia is not going up, then surely nitrates should? I’ve just double dosed my tank with ammonia in hope to get a better indication of what is happening. Any help or clarification would be much appreciated

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't over think this process. Trying to monitor levels too closely this early in the game is an exercise in futility. Just follow the instructions and test as prescribed. Did you turn off your protein skimmer off and remove your filter socks? How long have you been at the Dr. Tim's process and what is the process that you have gone so far? I am assuming you are following this process and directions?
https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back