Leopard wrasse all of a sudden not doing well in QT

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not really sure what is wrong / going on. Ive had him in qt for two weeks now doing ttm and ttm is complete. He was at the lfs for over a month before I purchased him so not a shipping issue. The wrasse is a social one always out and about. This morning I noticed he's been laying on its side a lot and breathing heavy. It does get up and swim occasionally but this wrasse has been swimming non stop since I got him unless he was sleeping. So not normal for him. When I noticed this I did a large water change (75%) and dosed general cure. Not sure what else to do other than wait it out? I have a blue tang in the same tank qt'ing with him, both started the same day. He's breathing very fast.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you wrote "he's breathing really fast" were you talking about the wrasse or the tang or both?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse is open mouthed breathing, so essentially the same as breathing fast. There are four basic reasons this could be:

1) Some toxin in the water (ammonia is pretty commonly seen in TTM, external toxins?)
2) Low dissolved oxygen or high carbon dioxide (does the tank have good aeration, not just circulation?)
3) Amyloodinium (velvet - TTM is suspected of not treating this very well )
4) Gill flukes (general cure will help with this)

Jay

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The wrasse is open mouthed breathing, so essentially the same as breathing fast. There are four basic reasons this could be:

1) Some toxin in the water (ammonia is pretty commonly seen in TTM, external toxins?)
2) Low dissolved oxygen or high carbon dioxide (does the tank have good aeration, not just circulation?)
3) Amyloodinium (velvet - TTM is suspected of not treating this very well )
4) Gill flukes (general cure will help with this)

Jay

Thanks for the info, yes, mouth is still open.

1) It has been 5 days since the last transfer which was on 1/12. Ammonia was also my suspicion which is why I did a w/c immediately but I didn't test the old water first, I just did it.
2) I have (and have been) running an air pump/stone on high since I started TTM and always do
3) I previously treated this with prazi during ttm (see schedule below in yellow), 2 doses. I also did the 36 hour TTM method which is supposed to escape ich and velvet.
4) I dosed prazi during ttm, doing gc now.

One thing to note - these are the same two fish that were exposed to the exploding heater, but that was two weeks ago on 1/3/21: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/is-a-heater-catching-fire-under-water-dangerous-to-fish.789991/

I have done 4 transfers since the heater exploded and they have been eating consistently

Here's the ttm schedule:
1610910200166.png

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've found wrasses in general react this way to prazipro. They usually calm down after a bit though.
It's been 6 days since the last prazi dose and it's been transferred to fresh tanks since. When I first dose prazi and the second time, it didn't react this way.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I really don't know what's going on here. The tang was swimming around a lot earlier but like I said breathing fast. Now they are both laying down. This seems to be happening fast. What can I do or test for?

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok I have a new theory and its my fault (dangit!).

I just realized I'm using the old tank that the heater exploded in. Now, I cleaned it previously but my guess is there are some toxins still left in there - I meant to toss the tank after more research but forgot to.

I just tossed up a new tank and got them into a new one. I did not dose GC again but wondering if I should or if they were exposed to the meds long enough and it's not worth it at this point? @Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - I'm trying to go through the things that it isn't and I keep coming back to velvet that got through the TTM. As gill parasites, it is possible that in some cases, they don't need to leave the fish at all, and can finish their life cycle right there in the gills - therefore TTM doesn't cure them of an acute infection.

Regarding the heater issue electrolysis of seawater produces some compounds that I don't know what effect they might have - one is sulfate, there are others, I just don't know them all. There could be a delayed toxic reaction for that.

Can you see inside either fish's gill? If they are red/pink that is o.k., but if they are gray/pale/white, that indicates anemia.

Jay

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow - I'm trying to go through the things that it isn't and I keep coming back to velvet that got through the TTM. As gill parasites, it is possible that in some cases, they don't need to leave the fish at all, and can finish their life cycle right there in the gills - therefore TTM doesn't cure them of an acute infection.

Regarding the heater issue electrolysis of seawater produces some compounds that I don't know what effect they might have - one is sulfate, there are others, I just don't know them all. There could be a delayed toxic reaction for that.

Can you see inside either fish's gill? If they are red/pink that is o.k., but if they are gray/pale/white, that indicates anemia.

Jay
I was told toxic metals could leach into the tank when it explodes.

Besides how they are behaving is there anything else I can do to detect if it's velvet? Neither has/had spots. Btw, what would I dose for that, gc?

I'll check the gills and report back asap. If it's anemia, what do I do then?

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal the tang just died! This is really going fast, I'm thinking velvet now too. Copper power is all I have. I was going to bring it to 1.0ppm for now to try and save the wrasse

Attachments

• PXL_20210117_231126893.jpg
    PXL_20210117_231126893.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20210117_231118577.jpg
    PXL_20210117_231118577.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 40

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - just answered your PM.....
Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back